Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Graph Tech Ratio Tuners

I was just thinking about this thread. Has anyone contacted GraphTech directly? While I know of other ukulele sites and forums, this is one of the most active when it comes to people who work on and modify their own instruments. If I were GraphTech, I wouldn’t want the negative PR this thread is producing and I’d want to get to the bottom of the issue. Maybe The Ukulele Site is doing that already (reaching out to the company), but it would be good-particularly some of you who were in contact with the company when these were announced in January-to reach out again?
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    Maybe The Ukulele Site is doing that already (reaching out to the company)...
    I bet they have contacted the company. You don't make money by giving replacement parts away. I'm sure GraphTech will tweak the formula or the design and get them to be perfect.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    As I wrote above, it is a custom build exclusive to HMS (1KOA-T with many 3Koa features) and Andrew thought the Ratio tuners would be a good idea.]
    Got it, thanks.

Yeah, I'd rather have those Kala geared tuners! It's a HMS "custom" Kala Elite Koa. Basically the 1KOA-T model but with an ebony fingerboard, bridge and binding. Oh, and those Ratio tuners. And I do like it but it's only been 2 weeks so I'm still experimenting with strings and messing with the action. I changed the strings 3 times so the tuners got a workout and failed...
    Well, it's good you found out while it's under warranty. What a nuisance, having to keep waiting for replacements instead of playing. I have a concert with very low action and Oasis strings and a tenor with low/average action and Martin Premium strings. They both sound great. I used a wound C on the concert, but the tenor didn't need it. Let me know what you settle on, you have more experience than I do by far. That's a gorgeous instrument--the satin finish and dark binding are striking. I hope you two settle into a good relationship.

Actually I'm only a few blocks from HMS and they keep a big bag of ratio tuners at ready. It only takes a couple minutes to change and they do in on the spot!

Actually I'm only a few blocks from HMS and they keep a big bag of ratio tuners at ready. It only takes a couple minutes to change and they do in on the spot!
    Lucky! Although it's probably best I don't live anywhere near a ukulele store.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    I know what you mean. I bought four instruments from my neighborhood HMS in 2019...

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    Yes! I "live" near Amazon, and that's bad enough.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I cannot regard tuning pegs as cheap, disposable items. They should be a "fit it and forget it" component. I don't care how inexpensive they are, if they cannot be relied upon, totally, then I would not be interested in buying.

YMMV

John Colter
    Last edited by ukantor; 12-03-2019 at 10:31 PM. Reason: emphasis

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    The Ratio plastic tuners are still very close to a prototype stage. They have some teething problems no doubt, but are a low cost solution.

If they can be produced at a low enough price, then you would probably keep a spare set in your case with your spare set of strings. If you can get ten sets for the same price as one steel set, maybe you would buy three or four sets and keep some spares?
    Well, the Ratio tuners are $29.95 vs $65 for Gotoh UTPs, so Ratios have a long ways to go in terms of both cost cutting and reliability.

Thread Information