Graph Tech Ratio Tuners

I think they are a good option, but I wish they weren't so clunky looking. Visually they seem to need a little refinement.

Just curious. What kind of tuners where on the uke in the picture you posted originally?
Are you directing that at me? I didn't post another photo.

To add to all, my photos do make them look worse than they are. They're pretty compact and they do work very well, if I had a standard style friction tuner through the front of the head, I would definitely use them. They work much better than the Gotohs on my Fluke.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Last edited:
Are you directing that at me? I didn't post another photo.

To add to all, my photos do make them look worse than they are. They're pretty compact and they do work very well, if I had a standard style friction tuner through the front of the head, I would definitely use them. They work much better than the Gotohs on my fluke.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org

I was meaning, what style of tuners where on that uke in the picture before you installed the Graphtechs.

There are screw holes visible. I was just curios if the style in the picture I posted where the kind on there before you installed the Graphtechs?

Hole spacing look like Grover open back on the Uke I picture posted. Can’t say for sure. I’m sure if new tuners function well, at that price they will be adopted by many. I can see why Chuck wouldn’t put them on one of his customers but I’d put them and will try them on my Solid Top Tiny Tenor.

For me on subject Uke, and I do this on guitars, I just put the screw back in the holes left. Easier that trying to use wood to fill

Also, remember these are back of heat stock, so I don’t think you will be staring At them. I think close up accentuate the look of the dimples in the plastic but assume that is from the moulds

My .02 cents worth. I will buy a set to try!

I was meaning, what style of tuners where on that uke in the picture before you installed the Graphtechs. There are screw holes visible. I was just curios if the style in the picture I posted where the kind on there before you installed the Graphtechs?

I didn't make it clear, that uke was at the Graph Tech booth with the Tune-A-Leles already installed.

Last edited:
I didn't make it clear, that uke was at the GraphTech booth with the Tune-A-Leles already installed.

Oh, I see. Sorry :)

They work much better than the Gotohs on my Fluke.

That's a pleasant surprise. Having Gotoh tuners on a uke you're selling is usually an advantage. I can see these Ratio tuners being liked by some buyers but disliked by others.

Out of interest - which headstocks do you have which would be too big for the long shaft version of the Gotoh's? I thought they had LOTS of room?
I have a Mele tenor and a Kamaka tenor - both of their headstocks are too thick for uptl Gotoh tuners.

I installed the Ratio tuners on a new concert I recently completed last week and I really like them. Functionally they work as well or better than any tuner I have used before and I have put some spendy ones on some of my instruments. I am now a bit disappointed that they are delaying getting them to market. Hopefully, they can improve their looks some and if they do I suspect they will be popular. Let me know if I can answer any particular questions.
Brad

Do you need to ream larger holes like with the UPTs?

I could see this being a good retrofit to get rid of the “ears” on a low end to midrange soprano. 6:1 sounds interesting too, although 4:1 is plenty for me and I’m okay with 1:1.

Bump to top of pile so we can keep an eye on these tuners. Graphtech are smart people. I’m not surprised then are refining things. I think they “listen” which is rare. If anyone has updated info please add to thread. Functionally they appear from comments to work well. For low to mid level priced ukes I’m sure they will sell. If they refine the look and get rid of the mold marks and dimples, I’m sure that will help. If they offered a more premium version in combo plastic metal ( kinda like pegheds does or that’s my impression) I think they could also do well. I like innovation so for my TT I still will try what they put out when they do final release. Please post pics for anyone who has tried current or perhaps new version when they come out. I find thread like this a great resource.

Side note, I went to local, big, guitar store right after this product showed up on UU. Guitar dealer is a big graphtech seller. I asked about These new tuners and they were blank. Do, we went on line in the store, I showed them and said, please call me back with a price. That was about six weeks ago. LOL

Good timing to bump. Just yesterday I sent Graph Tech an email asking if they're planning to make a shorter set that will fit a Fluke. I quickly received acknowledgement that they received my request and someone will reply as soon as they can.

• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

These look like a great idea to put on an all plastic ukes like the Waterman - can use it in the wet and not be concerned about the tuners going rusty then?

These look like a great idea to put on an all plastic ukes like the Waterman - can use it in the wet and not be concerned about the tuners going rusty then?

Other than the screws to install them, that's my impression. They're probably dust-sealed, not water-tight, so splashing might be okay but if you immerse your ukulele in water, you might get water trapped inside the tuner which probably wouldn't dry out very easily. I'm not sure if that would cause issues unless stuff started growing in there, but now I think I'm just going down a rabbit hole. :uhoh:

I will be taking the tuners to the Kauai ukulele builders group meeting this Saturday. Will be interested in their thoughts .
Bradford

I received a reply from Graph Tech about making the set that fits a Fluke,

"Thank you for the email and interest in Graph Tech. We do not have any current plans to offer any variations on our ukulele tuner design, however, you never know what might happen in the future."

With that reply I'm very tempted to buy a set, cut down the spool and drill new string holes to allow them to fit my Fluke.

• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Top Bottom