Kmise $ 60 Baritone PKg.....Baritone, gig bag, tuner & Strap.....comments

uketanzon

Reaction score
0It started out as a lark....or test of curiousity as to what younwould get in terms of quality for 60 buck investment...

Wood- Ocume? I think.....seems thin layered
very light weight
quite attractive wood grain actually and overall quite pleasing to eye..Kind of reminded me of a Mainland uke styling approach...
.( except for the silly childish fret markers which I am going to buy some decals to put over them)
Aquila High D strings set
Build quality ......really not bad
Very nice Gig bag
A good tuner
A strap....ok a little cheezy looking but functional
Sound ..........to my ears not bad, a bit thin....sounds good finger picked and lightly strummed, gets muddy fast when strummed hard..
Playability....quite easy...pretty nice action

I am not ashamed at all playing it with my group....

I did change the strings to Diadarrio Titanium Baritone strings

what can I say......I was totally expecting JUNK and fireplace tinder.....its a playable baritone package travel instrument or knock around camp or beach or teaching class uke.

I TRIED BOTH THE OKUME AND THE MAHOGANY BARITONES.....THE DARK MAHOGANY ONE SOUNDED THE BEST ( with a martin baritone string set installed ) AND LOOKED THE CLASSIEST

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baritone-U...hash=item2cd714e481:m:mwnL1fO3MYV-Z-HguMZikPg

Last edited:
I'm delighted it worked out for you. I'm impressed with the sound file - thanks for sharing!

I tried one of their banjo ukes and found it plinky and cheap sounding - it made a (sort of) nice Christmas present for someone....

Yes , your right....the banjos were pretty chinzy, had one, gave it away...
staying on the banjo band wagon, you may want to look at the Goldtone Little gem, won best in show in Namm, acrylic made...,
I got one, changed the strings to aquila carbon black and it sounds pretty nice..and looks awesome.! its a keeper.

Hello,

I already had a Kmise tenor which I think was an incredible value for the price. And just yesterday, I had the opportunity to purchase a second-hand (but as-new) baritone Kmise for about 20$.... Well, I still can't believe how these guys succeed in making such good instruments at that price range ! The overall lutherie is flawless, the playability is a joy and, most of all, the sound is HUGE.

I have mine tuned in fifths (D-A-E-B) and the sustain is so powerful and so rich in overtones that it reminds me of a kind of plucked cello... just perfect for Bach's cello suites ! Really a fantastic musical intsrument for the price of a toy...

Regards,
gilles

Just ordered a Kmise baritone to be shipped to Florida so it will there when I arrive and I can leave it there. I ordered it from Amazon, which was $79. The eBay dealer only accepts PayPal and will ship only to the billing address, so I paid a bit more. At least it is strung DGBE, so I’m not buying another set of strings. I didn’t want to bring my Pono to the beach and even tho I’m taking my Clara, I can’t bear to be without a baritone. Will I prefer the Kmise to the Pono? We’ll see.

Last edited:
Uketanzon, are you still liking the Kmise baritone? Sound better with the new strings you put on?

Just ordered a Kmise baritone to be shipped to Florida so it will there when I arrive and I can leave it there. I ordered it from Amazon, which was $79. The eBay dealer only accepts PayPal and will ship only to the billing address, so I paid a bit more. At least it is strung DGBE, so I’m not buying another set of strings. I didn’t want to bring my Pono to the beach and even tho I’m taking my Clara, I can’t bear to be without a baritone. Will I prefer the Kmise to the Pono? We’ll see.

Well, I certainly do not prefer it over Pono. Wouldn’t keep it normally but at the beach it was fine.

Uketanzon, are you still liking the Kmise baritone? Sound better with the new strings you put on?

I donated to a local library which I helped begin a uke loaner program. But I still liked it.

However My friend got the all mahogany kmise baritone pkg and put on a new set of martin baritone strings and i was very impressed. Hog top Sounded better than the Okume wood one I had.......deeper richer sounding....Thinking that spruce top one they have may sound great also. Hey, for 60 bucks, you cannot beat this pkg deal.......Its no PONO for sure.....but is sounds and play pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Well, I certainly do not prefer it over Pono. Wouldn’t keep it normally but at the beach it was fine.

My niece bought a Kmise baritone for $50 and it is a pretty decent instrument for fifty bucks. Definitely not going to compete with your Pono but still, for the price, it's quite adequate. She's in grad school (not music) and doesn't have a lot of cash this year, so it was a good choice for her.

For a budget starter instrument, it's a darn good value.

My friend has a mint older Gibson Baritone, told him it was real collectable and not it outdoors here in florida to play so I turned him on to the kmise....he is very happy with it, for travel and beach playing and stuff.

Sounds like you got a great value. I sort of wish I had done the same/similar as I'm not really playing my baritone much. I like my Cordoba 24B a lot, but for the amount I play it, this one would have been fine.

Personally don’t like any Kmise quality I have yet seen, but I admit I’ve not seen them all...

My gripe with them, and why I will never recommend them is down to dubious marketing tactics and a total disregard to intellectual property designs...

IMHO a horrible company.

Personally don’t like any Kmise quality I have yet seen, but I admit I’ve not seen them all...

My gripe with them, and why I will never recommend them is down to dubious marketing tactics and a total disregard to intellectual property designs...

IMHO a horrible company.

We're talking about a $50 price range here, though.

IMHO a horrible company.

Details? "dubious marketing tactics and a total disregard to intellectual property designs..." sounds like a description of EVERY Chinese company out there.

I've bought a few Kmise tenors and recommended them to others who have bought them and we all like them.

Decent value for the money.

My niece bought a Kmise baritone for $50 and it is a pretty decent instrument for fifty bucks. Definitely not going to compete with your Pono but still, for the price, it's quite adequate. She's in grad school (not music) and doesn't have a lot of cash this year, so it was a good choice for her.

For a budget starter instrument, it's a darn good value.

I was comparing the Kmise to a Pono. The Kmise playability and tone is not as pleasant in my mind.

Top Bottom