Season 363 - Into the Void

Too Much of Nothing. Written by Bob Dylan, but popularized by Peter, Paul & Mary. It's 3 and out for me, so hopefully see y'all next week!

Last edited:
Thank you, Geoff! (We are at about 800 metres ... on the edge of the Central Massif.)

My comment came about because someone on the telly this morning was going to climb Kilimanjaro for charity and it was described as travelling from Africa to the Arctic Circle only vertically!

I remember travelling over the Central Massif when I was about 8. My Father was based with NATO in Fontainbleau at the time and we went on holiday to Spain, the Costa Brava long before it became a tourist resort. It took us two days each way in an old Austin whose cruising speed was about 40mph. We stayed overnight on the way home in Clermont-Ferrand. Happy Days!

Last edited:
More Bob Dylan from me. This came originally from the basement tapes and was covered by the Byrds, though they moved the lyrics around a bit.
The video is Beamish Open Air Museum in Co. Durham. A fabulous place that features life in North East England in the early years of the 20th century and also a century earlier around 1820. The video features some of the trams in Beamish's collection and a replica train from the Stockton & Darlington Railway.

An attempt at a Seasick Steve song. His quirky style and beat up instruments have an appeal and a charm of their own ,but they are a bugger to recreate on nylon stringed yooks. So this is an adaptation.Hopefully faithful to the spirit if not entirely so, to the style.......

I watched a documentary about J Karjlainen and in it he explains how the song
Terve Sirkka Lautamies came about. He had found an old book with pressed flowers
in it up in the attic of an old house, so he wrote a song about Sirkka and her passion
for collecting wild flowers. I mentioned this to my wife and she said whilst at school
in her early teens she had done exactly the same thing.
It was part of the school curriculum. So I videoed a few of the plants she had pressed
and added this Gilbert O'sullivan song to the visuals. It has a nostalgic feel to it.

Code:
[FONT=Programme]If I give up the seat I've been saving[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]To some elderly lady or man[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Am I being a good boy?[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Am I your pride and joy?[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Mother please if you're pleased say I am[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]And if while in the course of my duty[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]I perform an unfortunate take[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Would you punish me so[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Unbelievably so[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Never again will I make that mistake[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]This feeling inside me could never deny me[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]The right to be wrong if I choose[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]And this pleasure I get[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]From say winning a bet[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Is to lose[/FONT]

[FONT=Programme]When I'm drinking my Bonaparte Shandy[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Eating more than enough apple pies[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Will I glance at my screen[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]And see real human beings[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Starve to death right in front of my eyes[/FONT]

[FONT=Programme]Nothing old, nothing new, nothing ventured[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Nothing gained, nothing still-born or lost[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Nothing further than proof, nothing wilder than youth[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Nothing older than time, nothing sweeter than wine[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Nothing physically recklessly, hopelessly blind[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Nothing I couldn't say[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Nothing why 'cos today[/FONT]
[FONT=Programme]Nothing rhymed[/FONT]

Last edited:
Confession time - I did a bad thing, but I wrote a song for this season about it in an attempt to atone for my indiscretion. If you want to know what it was, listen on...

We're getting to mid-week now, and we've had 42 songs so far! If you have nothing to be afraid of, fear not! Forget what the Christmas carol said, DON'T let nothing you dismay.

If you can't think of a song, there are still big hits from Stevie Wonder, Bachman-Turner, Sinead O'Connor, The Fixx, David Bowie, and Jackson Browne that haven't been done yet, and a well-known Bing Crosby song. Among others.

We already heard this song done beautifully by Tootler, but you can't listen to a Bob Dylan Song in Byrds attire too often.
Thanks to my friend Tom for the vocals!

The Roches appeared on Saturday Night Live in 1979, in support of their first album. They believed it would give their career a bump. It did not.

Since you specifically asked to see us play and sing, I worked up this deceptively tough little ditty by Prince . . . . .

I am not even sure I can defend this...
But how can I just leave a possible “Air Supply” song just sitting there?
I will say this. If you make it through the first five minutes, it finishes strong.

I was wondering how to approach this season. I thought at first of a heavy rocker with lyrics about falling into the void, etc. But it seemed a little clichéd.

Then this equally dark, but gentler approach, occurred to me and I wrote the song I am offering you today. As Carnival is on the horizon, I saw this mask in a "Chinese" shop and it seemed the perfect prop to express the emptiness of the void.

Hope you enjoy:

Across the Universe

Altogether now: "Nothing's gonna change my world. Nothing's gonna change my world"!

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Musescore music notation software (highly recommended, if not; open-source, cross-platform), but you can use it to create and then to play a score. So I typed the melody line to Across the U into Musescore, hit 'play' and strummed along in time with the 'bouncing ball'. I forgot to turn down the volume though, so you might hear a MIDI-grand piano accompaniment from time to time :)

Greetings,

On a cold NJ day I thought of this song "Running on Empty" so here it is, with no embellishments. My husband says I should upload to drop box, then to his computer, then to audacity, then compress it, then split tracks, then back to dropbox to my ipad to merge files and upload. WHAT????? I'm content to just record while I light the fire. So the crackling you might hear is the fireplace.

Ciao

Top Bottom