Season 363 - Into the Void

Elvis Costello's first single was "Less Than Zero", written about Oswald Mosley, the leader of a 1930s British fascist movement. On his first American tour, Elvis found that not only had his audiences never heard of Oswald Mosley, but they thought that the Mr Oswald referred to in the song was Lee Harvey Oswald. So he went along with that idea, and wrote three new verses. Known as the Dallas version, it turned up on an early live album, and as a CD bonus track many years later.

Last edited:
Silence is the absence of sound and hence a good of sorts right?

Kenny and the Kasuals were a band from Dallas who were active mostly during the 1960s. Although this song is straight-ahead rock & roll, some of their original songs began using elements that would later come to be known as psychedelic rock, and they are considered a pioneering band in that genre.

I read about them in a book called The Acid Trip, which was all about acid rock bands. It was compiled by someone who lived in England and the book had a very amateurish look but was full of information, and had one whole chapter devoted to acid rock bands from Texas. Back in 80s, I was a very good customer of the local book & record store, and the manager there sometimes went to extra effort for me to find some obscure stuff. One day I walked in and he said, "Hey, you asked me about these guys one time. You still want to buy this?" and he showed me two albums by them. I bought them.

During the time they were active, they cut a bunch of singles and only one album, which was a live album. Later on, someone took all their singles and made a couple of "albums," which is what I have.

They had a very devoted following and were expected to make a big breakthrough and get super famous, and then their lead singer--Kenny Daniel--got drafted. By the time he returned to the States, the window of opportunity had passed, but he got some of the group back together and toured as an opening act for a while for people like Iggy Pop and the Boomtown Rats. Some of them might still be performing at oldies shows, I'm not sure.

Thanks for hosting Uke4ia This is an old song by the Youngbloods called Darkness Darkness. Shout out to my brother Jon Duncan for adding his magic . . . . .

The theme this week looks like goofing off with Money for Nothing. So here's my take. I got carried away, as usual.

Another something about nothing. Here is a cover of "When You Say Nothing At All" by Alison Krauss. I just love her voice!

Edit: Oops...sorry, I just saw the previous fine performance of this same song, right above :cheers: Great minds think alike.

Last edited:
I was listening to Martyn Joseph's latest record (definitely worth checking out) in the car, when I realised this beautiful song fits the theme. This is called Nothing is lost in love.

For my third song here's a Del Reeves song that's a favorite of mine. One of those sad songs that really gets to me.

I did the perfect song for this season in season 325, but I don't want to repeat myself and I don't think I can improve on that version right now.

Anyway, this song is very appropriate for now as a huge percentage of the state I live in is currently on fire. That includes old-growth rainforest that will take thousands of years to regenerate, the world's largest hardwood tree, and naturally people's houses. Here is a photo of a place that I was working at last week.

10759354-3x2-940x627.jpg

When I was there, I saw a pair of wedge-tailed eagles. Their nest has no doubt gone. The world's tallest hardwood was a eucalyptus regnans named the Centurion. I say "was” because it's not clear whether it survived. The firefighters did their best to clear the area around it but they haven't been able to confirm whether that was enough.

So why did this happen? Dry lightning... And what caused the dry lightning? Climate change... I really hate to get political here, but I'm grieving for what has been lost and what will be lost in the future, so if you are American and voted for Trump, or if you are Australian and voted for Abbot, then I personally blame YOU!

Anyway, here is the song.

Last edited:
Hi, Jim ... thank you for the week! This is what happens when you have spent the past several days living in a snowdrift and unable to get further than the bottom of the drive, despite several abortive attempts ... the men with the white coats will be coming for me as soon as they can get up the hill! This song seemed appropriate for the week and most definitely appropriate for me as I am feeling rather "post-apocalyptic" at the moment!

Profound apologies, Robin, for following your sad news about the fires in Tasmania with a conflagration ... totally inappropriate!!!

Last edited:
the Darling/Murray River system is being exploited past it's potential to give imho - it is certainly in distress as I type this .....
paoriginal

Last edited:
Hi, Jim ... thank you for the week! This is what happens when you have spent the past several days living in a snowdrift and unable to get further than the bottom of the drive, despite several abortive attempts ... the men with the white coats will be coming for me as soon as they can get up the hill! This song seemed appropriate for the week and most definitely appropriate for me as I am feeling rather "post-apocalyptic" at the moment!

Snow don't talk to me about snow... it is so bad here I have it right up the ying yang... even up to the 7th chakra

The snow has got up to your 7th Chakra, Rob? It must be even deeper than ours!

He is quite a bit further north than you. Close even to the to the arctic circle. I would imagine you're quite a bit higher up, though and altitude can have the same effect as latitude.

Smart arse has spoken :eek:ld:

Top Bottom