Neck Cradle Recommendations

Martinlover

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I’d like a neck cradle for when I’m changing strings and cleaning my ukes. Not really necessary but it’s part of my UAS. Any recommendations? Should I just sew a little beanbag?

Well it ain't cheap, but this "gun rest" is what I use working on my instruments.

61PrLaHVASL._SL1032_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JD56F7...olid=1OLYXO7VMBU55&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited:
For nearly a decade now when I am cleaning or restringing a uke, I simply rest it across my lap, and the tools, or strings, etc are on the desk in front of me. Easy and simple for me this way.

Using a neck rest would mean more "accessories" that are single-use, and also infrequently required for me, so I'd rather save or spend that money on something else.

TLDR; sorry I've got no suggestions :)

For an inexpensive solution, just stack a couple of towels on top of each other, and then roll them up. Should work just fine, and the height can be customized by adding or removing a towel.
Jan D.

For an inexpensive solution, just stack a couple of towels on top of each other, and then roll them up. Should work just fine, and the height can be customized by adding or removing a towel.
Jan D.

I have done this before, or a couple books first then a rolled up towel.

I bought this Musicnomad neck cradle while in a music store about one year ago and love it. It is very versatile, you can place the instrument on top at the highest position of lay it on it's side and use the 4 different contours. A soft rubber exterior does a great job of gripping while not marking the finish

Besley's recommendation of a leather gun rest is excellent as well, many luthiers use that.

20190127_063759.jpg20190127_063816.jpg

This has always worked well for me.

neck holder.jpg

Maybe a gel-filled computer wrist rest? They won't be as tall as the gun rest, but you could easily support it from below, first.

There's several options for a neck rest over at StewMac

Top Bottom