NUD: My first bling uke! Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S (Pre-loved & discontinued)

AustinHing

Reaction score
So.. my all ukes are very plain but they sounded great, imo. I really thought I’m not the type that goes for the inlays, bindings, glossy and stuff. Nothing wrong with liking nice and pretty ukes though.

But when a uke as blingy as this pre-loved Eddy Finn soprano selling at ~USD50, I just cannot ignore it! And here it is, all mine now. The gloss finish is on every surface including the neck and I have very oily fingers, not a good match. The bling is everywhere as well. Even on the headstock! You don’t get abalone inlays on headstock at this price. Also, the mahogany is stained to a deep red colour that really contrast with the chrome tuners and abalone inlays.

So imo, a blingy uke like this usually does not sound as lively as a plain o’satin finish uke. But, boy this uke can sing! Surprisingly it sounds so very sweet, ladylike yet loud. It’s very different from my Martin S1 which sing with a raspy manly voice.

It is fitted with some unknown black (nylon-ish) strings. I thought i’d immediately swap them out of some worth or martin strings, but they kinda grew on me. According to the seller, it’s the original strings, so if anyone knows what black string Eddy Finn used to use, let me know!

The nut width is more on the normal side.. 35mm top. So bigger hands may find it a bit squeezy. It is also a slight bit heavier than the S1, but the top soundboard is quite thin and seems well structured. So I guess the blings are proving their worth in weight. Haha.

Anyway, just in case anyone wishes to check out this uke, here’s the specs below. This EFTS-20-S (along with the concert, tenor and shark fin version) is not longer listed on the Eddy Finn website, so I got its specs from elsewhere. Not on UU forum, as not much info on Eddy Finn ukuleles.

Solid mahogany body
Mahogany neck and headstock
Rosewood fretboard
16 frets, edge binding
Bone nut and saddle on slot bridge
High gloss finish
Abalone inlay rosette and top
Abalone inlay headstock
Black bindings at sides
Chrome geared tuners

Have a great weekend!

Attachments

• 01D4989C-4C73-45B3-A8BB-410F73A29B24.jpg
    01D4989C-4C73-45B3-A8BB-410F73A29B24.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 082679BB-2ECB-419F-B7EB-7D90A139E45B.jpg
    082679BB-2ECB-419F-B7EB-7D90A139E45B.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 7083A68E-6B4A-49B7-B877-B36475FF95E3.jpg
    7083A68E-6B4A-49B7-B877-B36475FF95E3.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 55
A very pretty uke with a sweet sound, for only $50. Congratulations, Austin!
Jan D.

Looks very nice. Glad it sounds great. It’s always nice to add a bit of bling. Congrats!

John

I think you hit the jackpot. It's amazing what deals one can find sometimes. Congrats!

Back nylons could be either D’Addario or Fremont strings only 2 I can think of off hand that make black strings

Eddy Finn has some nice products for good prices. That one looks very nice.
Thanks, Jerry. I agree with you, but it seems to be not too popular here.

Cool Austin! Enjoy it!
Thanks Bill! I am! I’m playing it every moment whenever I can lay my hands on it.

Looks very nice. Glad it sounds great. It’s always nice to add a bit of bling. Congrats!

John
Thanks, John! The bling does helps in the playing, it makes me want to pick it up more! Haha. I just hope the strings will last forever as I really don’t know what they are. Maybe D’addario black nylon? I don’t have knowledge on this.

I think you hit the jackpot. It's amazing what deals one can find sometimes. Congrats!
Thanks, Nickie! It is a really very good deal. The nice lady who sold me this nice uke said she played once or twice and lost interested in ukulele. She moved on and kept this baby in storage for few years ever since. It does have that old musky storage smell if you know what I’m talking about. I’m airing it a bit to get rid of the smell.

Back nylons could be either D’Addario or Fremont strings only 2 I can think of off hand that make black strings
Thanks for the information, Rick! If there’s only 2 to choose, I will most probably get both as spare!

Top Bottom