Klos Guitars Carbon Fibre Tenor Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I can’t find a mention the action; the action has been a bit of a debate on the Klos thread, and the model you have (had?) access to benefits from a number of the conversations early owners (e.g. My friend Besley) has with the company. Any thoughts on the action these days?

Last edited:
Yeah - should have put something in the review - the action on this example is perfect for me - about 2.5mm at the 12th.

Nice review. And from your 2.5 mm action it looks as if they finally sorted out their setup issues. For me (and a few others) it wasn't so much that it needed additional setup (most ukes do straight from the factory) as it was that the original neck angle and bridge thickness made it difficult to get below 3 mm action. And I absolutely agree about the diminutive size of the headstock. I understand their interest in keeping it as small as possible to make it travel friendly, but seriously, it's a ukulele - not a full scale guitar. An extra inch on the headstock would not have made a meaningful difference in portability, and sure would make getting to the tuner buttons easier.

I bought mine early in the process (order #11) and was able to opt for the carbon rods, strap buttons, and upgraded nut and saddle separately, without electronics - so yes, it would be a shame if that flexibility is lost. As for the construction of the top, if you look inside you'll see another interesting construction detail. And that is the large oval grooves that have been ground into the inside surface of the top, which I assume are there to improve the sound? The weight of mine is 690 g, or just over 1.5 lbs, which does feel a bit heavy compared with some wood ukes, but isn't noticeable. By comparison my Blackbird Farallon is 760 g.

It certainly is not as impervious to the elements as a Blackbird, given that the neck is mahogany, and the internal bracing is wood. But it's one third the price, and I really like that they are able to get it to the market for about $500. There isn't anything quite like it in that price range, so it should do well.

Last edited:
Thanks Besley - been somewhat deliberately keeping away from the development history as I know they are about to close the crowdfunding and go to straight sales. As such I just wanted this review to be a snapshot of the model that will go into regular production. Of course they may change it again.

I'm glad that it seems they ironed out some early issues, and I suppose thats where these crowdfund avenues work well.

I wonder if they will change that silly headstock after my review? lol!

Thanks for another great review, Baz. I think this uke sounded very nice in your recording, and I'm impressed that you had to turn down the gain.
I wouldn't have guessed that it's not a mahogany uke, with my eyes closed.
I don't like the looks of the saddle or the headstock at all, but overall, it's quite tempting...

.....I don't like the looks of the saddle or the headstock at all, but overall, it's quite tempting...

Mine came with the black Graphtech nut and saddle, and it really does improve the overall appearance (the white plastic looks rather cheap). The white plastic tuner buttons look a bit cheap too, but the upgraded tuners are like an additional $80. The blackwood bridge and fretboard were quite dry when received, and looked much better and richer after a treatment with MusicNomad F-One oil.

As for the torture test with a Prius, given that Barry is a Brit, shouldn't we get him to use a Land Rover?

I don't like the looks of the saddle or the headstock at all, but overall, it's quite tempting...

Thanks Nickie. I've had a few people comment about the saddle and I am scratching my head. Looks fairly simple and not overly large to me? What's the issue with it?

that is a great review as usual, Barry, I much concur and have recorded some more sound sampling with amplification and a pair of Worth Brown as well as fat strings. I have the deluxe model with a Richlite fretboard, tuners are much improved and I actually like the onboard controls (not so visually disturbing on a black body) since they allow me to correct some of the piezo quack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi9kF5Rlgco

Thank you for yet another insightful and informative review, Mr Barry. It was most enjoyable. I have always enjoyed your videos and articles over the years; they're so professional. I especially liked this one since it touches on the future of ukuleles utilizing non-traditional materials. The future is now :)

Thanks!

(worth checking out Klos development since I would say - this is quite an old review now and I think they updated their models recently!

Top Bottom