Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: New Kanilea model

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    3,808

    Default New Kanilea model

    Saw the Kanilea NAMM video, where they introduced the Oha uke, a less expensive Hawaiian-made model. Solid koa top, solid mahogany B&S. Walnut fingerboard & bridge. Green fingerboard dots and logo. MSRP of $725.00 - $850.00. It's on their website now. Sounded very good on the video.

    20190127_092039.jpg

    Also interesting that they're moving away from rosewood on most models (probably CITES), going with ebony fingerboard, bridge and headstock overlay. A classy look IMO.

    The new TRU bracing looks interesting too, new braces weigh 30% less.
    2019 new bracing.JPG

    And that pineapple shaped side port on the new pineapple tenor looks so cool!
    Platinum Pineapple side port.JPG
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-27-2019 at 04:41 AM.
    John

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    6,593

    Default

    I like that miniature bridge. They should have drawn tiny cars driving across it.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,351

    Default

    The green--no. I don't want a Kanilea where I'm already thinking about attacking it with Sharpies.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    3,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    The green--no. I don't want a Kanilea where I'm already thinking about attacking it with Sharpies.
    Agreed...that is a strange touch to an otherwise interesting tenor. Maybe they want to sell a bunch for St. Paddy's Day?
    John

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    st. paul, MN
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Why is Kanile'a so attached to the pin bridges?
    Those plastic pins don't live up to the beauty of their instruments, IMHO...
    Tracie

    Island Koa Instruments, prototype sop, Peter Howlett #153
    Kamaka white label sop (Tiki added!)
    Martin O sop, 1920's
    Martin O sop, 1960's
    Bruko Cedar/Mahogany archback
    Anuenue Khaya I sop
    Kala Elite 1MHG sop
    Lanikai SPS-S spruce top sop
    Blue Frog semi-custom LN soprano #1, Vic Jones
    Sawchyn hog concert (Martin copy), Peter Sawchyn
    Kala KA-ASOV-C
    Kala Elite 1MHG tenor SN

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Sparta, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,496

    Default

    I don't mind the pins, it's the cheap plastic tuner knobs that irk me. With mold seams no less.

    I've sent emails to them asking if they sell replacements. Never gotten an answer.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oahu Isle, Hawaii
    Posts
    517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukeinfused View Post
    Why is Kanile'a so attached to the pin bridges?
    Those plastic pins don't live up to the beauty of their instruments, IMHO...
    To each his own, right? I like pin bridges. To me, they look a lot neater than string ties, and are easier to work with.

    I replace most all of my uke & guitar pins with ebony pins -- they're not expensive. I like that teeny effect that ebony pins have on the sound & sustain. The sound difference is a matter of each person's ears/taste, of course, but the slight added sustain is discernible by almost anyone.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    3,808

    Default

    I also saw they are rolling out a line of ukes with solid cedar tops. I love the sound of cedar topped ukes I've played. To me, they sound totally opened up almost immediately.
    John

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    st. paul, MN
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    To each his own, right? I like pin bridges. To me, they look a lot neater than string ties, and are easier to work with.

    I replace most all of my uke & guitar pins with ebony pins -- they're not expensive. I like that teeny effect that ebony pins have on the sound & sustain. The sound difference is a matter of each person's ears/taste, of course, but the slight added sustain is discernible by almost anyone.
    I didn't know that pin material makes a difference in sound!
    Makes sense, I guess.
    Not being very handy, I hadn't gotten to this great idea.
    (Wonder why Kanile'a doesn't do ebony pins to start with!)

    Do you just buy the pins and plug them in - do they work without modification?

    Oh, and I had a helluva time with the A string slipping out when I changed to Living Water strings. Was my solution of a BIG knot the appropriate one?

    Thx for your reply!
    Last edited by ukeinfused; 02-01-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    Tracie

    Island Koa Instruments, prototype sop, Peter Howlett #153
    Kamaka white label sop (Tiki added!)
    Martin O sop, 1920's
    Martin O sop, 1960's
    Bruko Cedar/Mahogany archback
    Anuenue Khaya I sop
    Kala Elite 1MHG sop
    Lanikai SPS-S spruce top sop
    Blue Frog semi-custom LN soprano #1, Vic Jones
    Sawchyn hog concert (Martin copy), Peter Sawchyn
    Kala KA-ASOV-C
    Kala Elite 1MHG tenor SN

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    3,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukeinfused View Post
    ....Oh, and I had a helluva time with the A string slipping out when I changed to Living Water strings. Was my solution of a BIG knot the appropriate one? Thx for your reply!
    Tracie, yes, I've had A strings pop out of slot style bridges on sopranos; my knots were too small. I like this Ken Timms video about A string knots

    John

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •