New Kanilea model

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Saw the Kanilea NAMM video, where they introduced the Oha uke, a less expensive Hawaiian-made model. Solid koa top, solid mahogany B&S. Walnut fingerboard & bridge. Green fingerboard dots and logo. MSRP of $725.00 - $850.00. It's on their website now. Sounded very good on the video.

20190127_092039.jpg

Also interesting that they're moving away from rosewood on most models (probably CITES), going with ebony fingerboard, bridge and headstock overlay. A classy look IMO.

The new TRU bracing looks interesting too, new braces weigh 30% less.
2019 new bracing.JPG

And that pineapple shaped side port on the new pineapple tenor looks so cool!
Platinum Pineapple side port.JPG

Last edited:
The green--no. I don't want a Kanilea where I'm already thinking about attacking it with Sharpies.

The green--no. I don't want a Kanilea where I'm already thinking about attacking it with Sharpies.

Agreed...that is a strange touch to an otherwise interesting tenor. Maybe they want to sell a bunch for St. Paddy's Day? :D

Why is Kanile'a so attached to the pin bridges?
Those plastic pins don't live up to the beauty of their instruments, IMHO...

I don't mind the pins, it's the cheap plastic tuner knobs that irk me. With mold seams no less.

I've sent emails to them asking if they sell replacements. Never gotten an answer.

To each his own, right? I like pin bridges. To me, they look a lot neater than string ties, and are easier to work with.

I replace most all of my uke & guitar pins with ebony pins -- they're not expensive. I like that teeny effect that ebony pins have on the sound & sustain. The sound difference is a matter of each person's ears/taste, of course, but the slight added sustain is discernible by almost anyone.

I also saw they are rolling out a line of ukes with solid cedar tops. I love the sound of cedar topped ukes I've played. To me, they sound totally opened up almost immediately.

To each his own, right? I like pin bridges. To me, they look a lot neater than string ties, and are easier to work with.

I replace most all of my uke & guitar pins with ebony pins -- they're not expensive. I like that teeny effect that ebony pins have on the sound & sustain. The sound difference is a matter of each person's ears/taste, of course, but the slight added sustain is discernible by almost anyone.

I didn't know that pin material makes a difference in sound!
Makes sense, I guess.
Not being very handy, I hadn't gotten to this great idea.
(Wonder why Kanile'a doesn't do ebony pins to start with!)

Do you just buy the pins and plug them in - do they work without modification?

Oh, and I had a helluva time with the A string slipping out when I changed to Living Water strings. Was my solution of a BIG knot the appropriate one?

Thx for your reply!

Last edited:
....Oh, and I had a helluva time with the A string slipping out when I changed to Living Water strings. Was my solution of a BIG knot the appropriate one? Thx for your reply!

Tracie, yes, I've had A strings pop out of slot style bridges on sopranos; my knots were too small. I like this Ken Timms video about A string knots

I like my Kanilea a lot, but I have to agree regarding the tuner knobs and bridge pins: for an instrument in this price range, I really think they should use Ebony instead of plastic in the first place, even if they'd have to charge 20 or 40 bucks more for it. They could use plastic on the new Oha line in order to keep the cost low.

I like my Kanilea a lot, but I have to agree regarding the tuner knobs and bridge pins: for an instrument in this price range, I really think they should use Ebony instead of plastic in the first place, even if they'd have to charge 20 or 40 bucks more for it. They could use plastic on the new Oha line in order to keep the cost low.

Gonna have to fully agree with that.

:agree: I like the pin bridges, the simplest string changes! I replaced mine with some koa pins with abalone dots, I got from Kanile'a. At the same time I inquired about koa tuner buttons, but they didn't have any.

Do you just buy the pins and plug them in - do they work without modification?

Oh, and I had a helluva time with the A string slipping out when I changed to Living Water strings. Was my solution of a BIG knot the appropriate one?

Thx for your reply!

Most pins will work, I believe they're pretty much standard pins. And, yes a bigger knot works great, I've had one A string pop out, just make a bigger knot.
IMG_20190202_105041161.jpg

I also used a snakewood strap button from StewMac...
IMG_20190202_104635632.jpg

I also just got some Waverley tuners with koa buttons from a UU member, the buttons are a tiny bit larger, but not much, they work very smoothly!
IMG_20190202_102310660.jpg IMG_20190202_104546913.jpg IMG_20190202_104457150.jpg

My Kanile'a Tenor A-string wore a bigger groove into the bridge hole. So much so, I couldn't tie a big enough knot in the string to prevent it from popping out between the peg and the groove. Solution: I used a bead on the end of the string. Dropped it into the hole, inserted the pin, making sure the slot was facing the bottom of the uke, and then installing the string on the A-tuner in the normal way. It works great, and I've never had the string pop out.

Top Bottom