Buying from Mim Question

Does anyone know if Mim ships to Canada these days and, if so, are the customs and handling fees brutal?

She ships International but clearly states you’re responsible for all excess beyond shipping. If you buy a US made Uke you only pay HST and a processing fee by the shipper. That fee can be $10 or much more depending on who she uses. USPS is cheapest, UPS is $$$. This is based on guitars I’ve had imported. Luckily, I have family in Ohio. ;)

I don’t know about this email address.I sent a long email a couple weeks ago before NAMM as I was really interested in the Koaloha Tenor she had listed. I never heard back. Then HMS got a new batch in so I have one in setup with them now. Later I saw on Instagram that her email is mimontheuke@aol.com. Is AOL still around? So perhaps I sent to the wrong email address. It’s too bad because after reading her setup faq, I wanted to buy from her. Then NAMM came, then HMS got theirs. Perhaps it was just meant to be. Can anyone please confirm her email?
Cheers, Dave

Last edited:
She used to be here on UU all the time. The last time I saw or heard from her is at the ukulele world congress. Does anyone have the url for that article ukulele magazine did on her? I have searched all over for it, even on the ukulele magazine site, and can't find it. Anyway, I bought an Ohana soprano from her a year or so ago and I was very happy with both the ukulele itself and the transaction. The setup was just right for me.

Does anyone have the url for that article ukulele magazine did on her? I have searched all over for it, even on the ukulele magazine site, and can't find it.

AFAIK, the article is only in the print copy, and not on the website.

I don’t know about this email address.I sent a long email a couple weeks ago before NAMM as I was really interested in the Koaloha Tenor she had listed. I never heard back. Then HMS got a new batch in so I have one in setup with them now. Later I saw on Instagram that her email is mimontheuke@aol.com. Is AOL still around? So perhaps I sent to the wrong email address. It’s too bad because after reading her setup faq, I wanted to buy from her. Then NAMM came, then HMS got theirs. Perhaps it was just meant to be. Can anyone please confirm her email?
Cheers, Dave

I'm not sure what her current email address is, but I one time did send an email and didn't hear back. About a month later, I still wanted the ukulele and it was still available, so I tried again. Turned out that she accidentally deleted the first email, and had no way to get back to me then. Mistakes happen. So, in the future, you might try again if she doesn't respond.

She was also good at returning my phone call, which I didn't try that first time. So that's another option.

In my case, I did get the ukulele, and it's got the best setup of any of my ukes. And she gave me a great price on it. So it had a happy ending.

I’m not questioning her character at all, just sharing an experience. I would have waited until after NAMM, but HMS listed 6 new tenors and I got my pick. Everything for a reason I suppose.

I’m not questioning her character at all, just sharing an experience. I would have waited until after NAMM, but HMS listed 6 new tenors and I got my pick. Everything for a reason I suppose.

I didn't think that you were questioning her character. Hope it didn't come across that way.

Enjoy your new ukulele when it arrives.

I will say e-mail seems to be the worst; I have had a couple of dropped discussions there—Facebook and messaging via Reverb always work for me.

My Reverb messenger is awesome because it goes to my phone and it lists it like a conversation so other bits of info does not get lost. The messanger is also available under my website items since it is powered through Reverb.

Sorry for any missed e-mails guys, I do my best. But being a one-person show and shipping so fast, sometimes I don't have time to get through all my e-mails or orders would suffer. So some days I just have to put my head down and plow through orders. I do try. Orders are shipped same or next day, but e-mails tend to breed. I answer one and one to two pop back and it is super hard to keep up with, especially after NAMM!

You can message her on FB if you didn't put the message on your Paypal payment. She responds quickly. I think she has Worth if you want Fluourocarbons. I don't remember there being many choices.

Working on offering more choices...

IF... customers promise not to call me to talk to me for hours about strings. Call about ukuleles, but strings are so subjective! Haha! I love talking to you guys on the phone, but my set string answer is, "Buy whichever you like". Which is better? "Whichever you think is better!" So... people were getting upset because I would not give solid answers, but it is so subjective. When I used to give solid answers, I had a few people write me after the fact and say, "I cant believe you recommended these to me, I hate them." and it will be the same string that the same day someone write to say, "Thank you for recommending these to me I love them."

String... sigh... Ok, I will offer more strings ;)

+1.
I bought one ukulele from Mim, and she did a great set up for me, shipped very quickly, and is definitely looking out for her customers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Mim again.

As someone mentioned, with NAMM this weekend, it's probably hard for her to get back to people right away, but try her again if she doesn't respond within a reasonable amount of time.

I came back to a ton of orders, thank you guys, but nothing that would not take me a long work day to get done... but...

... I caught a cold... which I can work though. But my kid caught a cold. And she asked me to come home because she was feeling badly. Granted this was at 9pm (I was still working) but my husband is gone for a few days. So Mim is being Mim and Mom. So I hope to have orders caught up today and then e-mails answered tomorrow! :) Promise!

It's not that she didn't get back to me......I was just so thick I couldn't find her email or phone number to contact her. I'll wait until NAMM is over.

We got in touch, yeah? You are my Worth Clear Low Guy? Yeah? If not...shoot me a message.

Reverb messenger... that thing is a beautiful thing!

She ships International but clearly states you’re responsible for all excess beyond shipping. If you buy a US made Uke you only pay HST and a processing fee by the shipper. That fee can be $10 or much more depending on who she uses. USPS is cheapest, UPS is $$$. This is based on guitars I’ve had imported. Luckily, I have family in Ohio. ;)

I am a USPS gal for sure!

Yeah I have to generally say people have to figure out their own customs. I love you guys, but I cant handle the maths of many many currencies and countries. But Canada happens a lot! If shipping is less than my flat international $60 shipping on Reverb, I will refund the extra. Which... to Canada is usually about $40. I wont keep the extra money. It ain't honest ;)

Cheers, Dave

mim@mimsukes.com goes to mimontheuke@aol.com so either work.

Sorry I did not get back. I do try. I really do. Sometimes things slip. I get A LOT of e-mails. If you order something it is same or next day.
I am working on a system to make sure I dont get so behind on e-mails. But I need to catch up first. Haha.

She used to be here on UU all the time. The last time I saw or heard from her is at the ukulele world congress. Does anyone have the url for that article ukulele magazine did on her? I have searched all over for it, even on the ukulele magazine site, and can't find it. Anyway, I bought an Ohana soprano from her a year or so ago and I was very happy with both the ukulele itself and the transaction. The setup was just right for me.

This actually makes me realize how much I miss the site.
The problem is... here I am responding to posts and not to e-mails.
I was on a lot more before I had so many e-mails.

But man, I miss you guys! I forgot how much fun this community is!

I did not read it that way at all.

I am kicking myself, but at the same time, I am one of those "meant to be" people, so it may have been that as well!
So no hurt heart hear! I think you are great and fair. I did not answer... that is bad on me. And really I hate it is something I am lacking in. I know I am.
I could hire someone to do my e-mails because I could use an employee to pickup the balls I drop (basically e-mails and answering string calls... haha...)
but... then everyone wants my input. So instead I am juggling with one consistent ball hitting the ground.
I will work on it yall! I actually kind of needed this kick in the booty!

This was weirdly fun! Ok, I need to pop onto the forums more often.

Man, even my signature has my logo from 8 years ago. This is amazing! And quotes I forgot about!

To summarize, "Mim, great at set up. Sucky at e-mails. Pretty darn awesome at Reverb messenger. Available through Reverb and MimsUkes.com, they go to the same place. I love my uke community. Today if you need to get in touch with me and cant get the Reverb working call 540-505-5444. I am getting ready to pick up my lunch from my kiddos who are having a snow day so they cooked for me, so I will be working late and I can set up and talk at the same time. I am a great multi-tasker."

But to be honest, a big thank you for everyones kind words. You have no idea how much you have made my day!

But being a one-person show and shipping so fast, sometimes I don't have time to get through all my e-mails or orders would suffer. So some days I just have to put my head down and plow through orders.

While it may be hard to keep up at times, I'm delighted to hear that your business is doing well, both for you, and also for those who are getting new ukuleles from you. Both are happy things. More ukuleles out in the world is more happiness out in the world. :)

This was weirdly fun! Ok, I need to pop onto the forums more often.

Man, even my signature has my logo from 8 years ago. This is amazing! And quotes I forgot about!

To summarize, "Mim, great at set up. Sucky at e-mails. Pretty darn awesome at Reverb messenger. Available through Reverb and MimsUkes.com, they go to the same place. I love my uke community. Today if you need to get in touch with me and cant get the Reverb working call 540-505-5444. I am getting ready to pick up my lunch from my kiddos who are having a snow day so they cooked for me, so I will be working late and I can set up and talk at the same time. I am a great multi-tasker."

But to be honest, a big thank you for everyones kind words. You have no idea how much you have made my day!

What a hilarious and informative summary! Just to add my $.02, I have purchased both an Ohana soprano and an Ohana concert from Mim. Setup was fantastic on both. This was a couple of years ago, and she wasn't using Reverb. Most of my communication was by email and on the phone. She took a lot of time to talk to me and to understand what I wanted in a uke. I'd definitely buy from her again.

Top Bottom