When you go to a uke event...

stillfreeda

Reaction score
what is your favorite and least favorite feature?

What would you like to see more of or less of?

What's an element that you think is missing?

what is your favorite and least favorite feature?

Most fave: interacting with other uke enthusiasts, whether they are like me, or featured performers
Least fave: always feels like event is too short, and when I go home after, I feel depressed and lonely :)

What would you like to see more of or less of?

More of: Q&A time with workshop leaders for specific questions, and also more time to browse vendor area.
Less of: travel hardships, mainly getting the time to go to far away events and finding the budget to attend them.

What's an element that you think is missing?

Missing: comprehensive take-home materials from the workshops, so you can better practice what was demonstrated in the 5-8 workshops, each only about 45 mins in length. Often the handouts are just 1-2 pages with very simplified information, which leaves a lot to be desired when trying to reinforce what you learned in the workshops over the next weeks and months...

I like an educational component. Often times the workshops are very basic and it is nice if there are both beginners workshops and workshops that are a bit more advanced for those who have gotten past the beginner level. Last year at GMUG they had some more advanced workshops and that was nice. There comes a point where the workshop on two chord songs just doesn't get it anymore. Something more challenging for those who are up to it is fun.

The second thing that I like is an open mic opportunity. I like to participate in the open mic, but I also like to watch other people, see where they are at and what they are doing. Compare myself to what they are doing and see where I want to go. I get a lot out of them. I also think that the atmosphere around the open mic is important. I've been to some festivals where the open mic is in the same room as the workshops, just a big hotel conference room and there is just no atmosphere to feed off of. The MightyMo probably used to have the best atmosphere for an open mic. It was held at a resort that had an old west motif and they had the open mic in an old west saloon. That was a lot of fun playing in there. The performers voted best from the open mic then opened for the headliner on concert night. That was a good festival. Lots of very talented people. If you really like open mic, the Ukulele World Congress is just one big open mic. Not much else though.

Some good vendors helps out a lot. It is fun to shop around during breaks before and after workshops, but it is also nice to be able to pick up a spare string set if you break a string, a yellow book if you are new to the strum-a-longs that are touted as jams, or some other piece of equipment that one might need. It is fun to wait for a festival with some good vendors and then let your UAS take over.

I've attended probably seven or eight festivals, and those are the things that I liked most. What don't I like, some festivals get tribal. It is not a lot of fun for the people who are not part of the inner group. They get cliquish. There is always a lot of talk about inclusion at those festivals, but sometimes it is just lip service. I think that the people putting it on need to be genuine. That's about it. Most of the festivals I've been to have been well worth the trip.

Top Bottom