Ever buy 2 of the same uke?

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Ever buy 2 of the same uke, to keep at the same time?

I have a Cordoba 24T-CE, solid cedar top and spalted maple lam B&S. Sure, it's no K-brand, but to my ears, it has great tone and volume, and the 1.5" wide nut allows me to play very accurately. Plus, you can grab one off eBay for about $125.00 shipped. Mine is in low G, and I like it so much, I'm thinking of getting another, non-cutaway, to keep as my high G tenor.

How about you? Any double doses of the same uke, and if so, why?

1.JPG
3.JPG

Yes. About six years ago I bought a limited-run Takamine laminate tenor. I love it. When I had had it for about a week I decided that I needed a spare, either in case anything happened to the first one or to be strung low-G. Alas, they were no longer available. I’ve been looking for one ever since, and miracle of miracles, I found one last year.

I have two Kala acacia concerts.

I also have two identical Enya concerts. I forget exactly how that happened, but they were something like $25 each so I kept both.

I have high- and low-G Cocobolo concerts and high- and low-G Cocobolo tenors.

Last edited:
IMHO, alternate tunings are a perfectly good reason to have a duplicate model of a uke that you love. :)

Yep, for almost 2 years I had 2 Magic Fluke Fleas with upgraded fretboard and tuners, one blue and one designer. One high G, one low G.
I sold my high G when I got my Koaloha.

If my Kala solid cedar top came on soprano I'd snatch it up. I bought a tenor that turned out to be too big for me so managed to trade with someone here for a concert. Love it! If I needed to have exactly same model in your scenario, then I wouldn't mind having one for low g

You know, I was literally just thinking about this as I was playing my beloved Deering banjolele this evening. What if it’s discontinued?! What if they change the neck that’s currently so perfect for my stubby fingers? Should I get another just in case?!

Almost identical. One Makala dolphin in orange sunburst and a teal Makala shark. Love these fun and playable ukes!

Also Koaloha concert siblings KCM-00 and KCM-10 so I can have both in two tunings. The former is high G and latter, low G.

Last edited:
Ever buy 2 of the same uke, to keep at the same time?

How about you? Any double doses of the same uke, and if so, why?

I’ve had a succession of 2nd hand Dolphins the earlier ones of which I gave away to various folk - it gave them something to play and (at the time) it gave me space for something else. My remaining Dolphin is my beater and a nice enough player (really pleased with it now its been ‘sorted’) but I can’t think of a use for a second one - every time I see a cheap one on eBay I try to think of reasons why I need another one but each time I fail.

At one time I had an old Lanikai LU21-P and a newer Kala KA-P at the same time, they were near identical and the later was - to the best of my knowledge - a development of the former. With the exception of string influence they played very similar. My instinct was that the LU-21P was too fragile to be kept and used as a beater so I sold it to make way for something tougher, in hindsight I wish I’d kept it and just used it regardless of the possible damage to it. Maybe I’d have broken the LU21-P and maybe I wouldn’t, but in the meantime it would have been a better player than my (good) Dolphin.

I’m glad that you posted your comment about duplicate Ukes, it’s got me thinking and maybe the next time I see a bargain priced Uke that’s the same or similar to one that I already like I might well press the buy button. A familiar playing beater, or something familiar that’s just differently strung, could be really useful.

Last edited:
No. :cool:

But I do have very similar ukes of various sizes. :D

But since I found a type of uke that really seems to be 'me', I bought another very similar, but different make & wood, & am often tempted when I come across another similar type - long neck concert. :)

(So far I have resisted, because I have too many ukes already...........no, really.......I have...... :rofl: )

I have an inexpensive Cordoba concert and was considering getting a second so I could have one in low G. But my wife got me a Tenor for Christmas and a set of low G strings for it.
Now the temptation has gone away.

You know, I was literally just thinking about this as I was playing my beloved Deering banjolele this evening. What if it’s discontinued?! What if they change the neck that’s currently so perfect for my stubby fingers? Should I get another just in case?!

Very good point. Things like that happen. Of course, since you already have one, do you need another?

I've got a brace of Ludwig Wendell Hall Banjo ukes. One's a spare for when I have to change the skin on my regular daily player. Love em both!
Cheers
Gary

After I bought the K-1 Tenor satin, HMS knocked another $100 off one of their remaining ones. I almost got it so my wife and I would both have one, but stalled too long and it was gone. But...it led to a new Koaloha tenor instead, so I won’t whine about it. :D

I have an inexpensive Cordoba concert and was considering getting a second so I could have one in low G. But my wife got me a Tenor for Christmas and a set of low G strings for it.
Now the temptation has gone away.
Have you put the low G’s on your tenor yet.
I bought low g’s to put on my tenor, but have not changed it.

I don’t believe I would buy two identical ukuleles. (Locally that would almost be the only choice). I do have a soprano and tenor from the same brand,

Have you put the low G’s on your tenor yet.
I bought low g’s to put on my tenor, but have not changed it.

I don’t believe I would buy two identical ukuleles. (Locally that would almost be the only choice). I do have a soprano and tenor from the same brand,

I did. First, just the g string. Which required me to open the nut slot for the larger diameter string. The action is still too high giving me intonation problems at the first fret. I purchased a nut slot gauge and nut files. I will be working on adjusting the action.

Before I do that, I put on the rest of the strings from the same set. I am still stretching them in. I want to get a feel for the entire string set before I start filing the slots.

I do feel that the low G is a bit 'boomy'. I understand that this is somewhat common with tenors and low G. The difference is a bit less noticeable now that I have all 4 strings on from the same set (cannot remember the brand my wife got, and I am at work so cannot check)

Wow, Katheryn, you have 4 Cocoboli?

We have 2 Cocoboli, so much alike that one is for sale. See the Marketplace.

Top Bottom