Lanikai Concert Ukulele advice

StringDaddy

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been clunking around for the past week on my kids' Amahi Soprano Ukulele. As an Upright Bass player, I've quickly realized I need a larger Uke to learn on. My work (local truck driver) has Safety Points where you can buy things through their website (supplied from Best Buy). There is a Lanikai - All Solid 4-String Concert Ukulele - Mahogany that I could get and have been looking at. Model Number: GTSMASC. I can't find much about this Ukulele. Does anyone know anything about it or maybe be able to point me in the right direction, as I'm brand to the Ukulele world. I will include the link below for reference.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lanika...cert-ukulele-mahogany/6289322.p?skuId=6289322

Since these are safety points, it has to be through their website, unfortunately. Is this a good Ukulele? Thanks.

In my opinion, yes. Hopefully others will come along with their thoughts, too . . .

The strap buttons and walnut fingerboard tell me this is a newer Lanikai, likely a 2018 model. Lanikai basically dumped their entire line and started making them like this just over a year ago.

I haven't played one in person; many of the former Lanikai dealers I used to visit no longer carry the brand.

I own three older Lanikai ukuleles, the entry level soprano and baritone models, and the Spruce/Koa Tenor UkeSB, which I love because it records directly into my iPad. All three are great ukuleles; they aren't my best, but they aren't bad.

The knock on Lanikai was that they were a little overbuilt; as a bit of history, the brand used to be owned by Horner, and then was sold to KHS.

The new models introduced at NAMM this year looked nice; again, I'd want to play them.

If you're getting the ukulele for free, it is a solid mahogany ukulele, it is concert scale (just a little larger than soprano), and it comes with a gig bag and a lifetime warranty (I think that's a new development with the new models). It may still be overbuilt, but for a starter ukulele, this is much better than the average instrument someone will start with. And if it doesn't work out, you can always sell it for some cash later--but a ukulele will be lucky to get 60% of its original value upon resale.

As it is solid, however, if you are in a dry or cold climate, you'll want to learn about how to humidify your ukulele.

Just a follow up. My new Ukulele arrived and I love it! The tone is so beautiful! Now to learn how to play this thing.

Congrats on your new baby!
If you can tear yourself away from it, please post some pics, that's a tradition here...

I have been wanting for some time to try this exact uke, as the sister solid spruce top Lanikai SPS-S soprano I got on close out sounds amazing and looks terrific. Great appointments with wood binding and Grovers.
My only gripe with it is the unnecessary (IMO) strap pegs.
Glad to hear the MAS-C a winner! :)

Top Bottom