Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy from Snowy Michigan

Smile New guy from Snowy Michigan

Hi all! Just a quick note to introduce myself and say hello. I'm Mark and I live in southeast Michigan. I'm a 30+ year guitar guy, just getting into ukulele and look forward to learning from many of you here. Found UU via Google search.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post
    Hi all! Just a quick note to introduce myself and say hello. I'm Mark and I live in southeast Michigan. I'm a 30+ year guitar guy, just getting into ukulele and look forward to learning from many of you here. Found UU via Google search.
    Hello from Kalamazoo!

Well there's TONS of uke stuff to do in Michigan. Motor City Ukes is over your way, among others. Mighty Uke Day is usually the first or second weekend of May in Lansing, and Midwest Ukulele Camp is at Olivet College in mid-late June. There's also Uke-toberfest at that fine arts joint - Interlochen? I think that's it.

You're going to have a ton of fun. Uke people are the best people.

Quote Originally Posted by stillfreeda View Post
    Hello from Kalamazoo!

Well there's TONS of uke stuff to do in Michigan. Motor City Ukes is over your way, among others. Mighty Uke Day is usually the first or second weekend of May in Lansing, and Midwest Ukulele Camp is at Olivet College in mid-late June. There's also Uke-toberfest at that fine arts joint - Interlochen? I think that's it.

You're going to have a ton of fun. Uke people are the best people.
    That all does sound fun! I wasn't aware of Motor City Ukes, will have to check them out. I'm not terribly far from Elderly, have shopped guitars there for years, but never Ukes. Will have to make the drove over this weekend and do some looking. Thanks for the welcome and the tips!

That all does sound fun! I wasn't aware of Motor City Ukes, will have to check them out. I'm not terribly far from Elderly, have shopped guitars there for years, but never Ukes. Will have to make the drove over this weekend and do some looking. Thanks for the welcome and the tips!
    There's a group in Ann Arbor/Ypsi, too. And one in Lansing that meets at Sir Pizza which is close to Elderly's. Typically the second Saturday for that one.

Hi from Squally Ontario. Welcome. All Michiganders are more than welcome here...unless they’re UM fans. JK!!!

Haha! My wife works for The University, so we are fans of her paycheck, at a minimum. Funny stuff, Dave - I just noticed your intro thread a bit down the page. Us snowy midwest guys gotta stick together!
    Mark
    Kamaka HF-2L Longneck Concert
    Kanile'a Custom Super Soprano

I'm not terribly far from Elderly, have shopped guitars there for years, but never Ukes.
    Welcome to the forum!

I made the pilgrimage to Elderly's from Cleveland. It was a great opportunity to play a fair number of vintage instruments. As well as various current instruments of different quality/cost points.
    I went prepared to pick up a vintage piece if I found one I liked. But none of them sang to me. My wife liked one of the banjoleles they had. My mother-in-law did get a dulcimer.

Quote Originally Posted by bobhost View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I made the pilgrimage to Elderly's from Cleveland. It was a great opportunity to play a fair number of vintage instruments. As well as various current instruments of different quality/cost points.
    I went prepared to pick up a vintage piece if I found one I liked. But none of them sang to me. My wife liked one of the banjoleles they had. My mother-in-law did get a dulcimer.
    For sure that's where the real beauty lies with a place like Elderly - you can go and "run the racks," and play lots of gear. I've found some real gems there on the acoustic and electric guitar side. Guitars that I would never have picked out of a lineup, but that shone bright when played for a few minutes. Some of the pretty ones just aren't great players or don't have that tone.

Appreciate the welcome!
    Mark
    Kamaka HF-2L Longneck Concert
    Kanile'a Custom Super Soprano

Haha! My wife works for The University, so we are fans of her paycheck, at a minimum. Funny stuff, Dave - I just noticed your intro thread a bit down the page. Us snowy midwest guys gotta stick together!
    Good nature ribbing... I’m from Ohio originally (OSU alum) AND, here’s a sad fact, my daughter went to UM and now lives and counsels students in Ann Arbor. I’ll be visiting on Sunday. Go Buckeyes!

Welcome to the forums. I used to live in Chicago and was visiting family in London, Ontario on a regular basis. Ann Arbor was my designated stop.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

Joseph

Thread Information