Buzzing Across First Fret Position

To complete the thread, Bill kindly donated the ukulele to me to see what I could do with it. A quick inspection, revealed a slight back bow in the neck and fretboard, with an extremely low action of.060”, and a bridge saddle height of 3/8”. The proper fix in this case would be to remove the frets, plane down the fretboard to both provide the proper relief and raise the action, and then refret. The easy fix and the one I will do is to sand down the tops of the frets for some relief, recrown them, and raise the bridge saddle about 1/16”. We will see how that goes.
Brad

A bowed neck ---- that's unfortunate. Have seen that on a couple guitars, but not on a soprano uke. Do you think it was an original improper planing of the neck, an incorrect fretboard installation or an issue with the wood itself?

It could have been any of those issues, no way for me to tell. Anyway the quick and dirty fix worked fine and it plays and sounds fine now.
Brad

Excellent! And it's just striking me as funny that the guy who ended up solving the issue has the screen name "Buzz" !! Everyone have a great weekend!

Top Bottom