Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uke lust

Please allow me to use the advice from our UU friend KVehe - Kathryn. She said buy now so you don’t have to wonder for the rest of your life!

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    Meds would only help by draining the budget faster. I know which I'd rather be addicted to. Meds are for the moment, ukuleles are for a lifetime! And they never haul you to jail you if you resell your ukes. (Besides, how do you strum a pill?) If your uke addiction drives you out of your home, you've got enough material to build one classy hut by the river, and with musical skills you can busk rather than panhandle, with better return. Maybe it would be better to cure drug addiction with ukes.
    Exactly! (Uke) music heals!

And it's like Sam wrote... "How bad is your UAS?"
    Notice he didn't say "do you have UAS?"
    Last edited by Nickie; 01-29-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Exactly! (Uke) music heals!

And it's like Sam wrote... "How bad is your UAS?"
    Notice he didn't say "do you have UAS?"
    Its all a matter of perspective ... we all have it ... lol. Still looking for a lovely slightly used Spruce top tenor with a radius fretboard and sound port.
    How bad is your UAS?

This is either the worst best advice ever or best worst advice ever (or somewhere in between) .
    Uke lust still is at least more manageable (space & money-wise) than some other lusts for objects made out of wood... sailboat lust, ski lust, guitar lust.... to name a few.

Re: medicine... In all reality, ukes could be construed as "durable medical equipment".

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post
    Please allow me to use the advice from our UU friend KVehe - Kathryn. She said buy now so you don’t have to wonder for the rest of your life!
    keeping an eye out for a very special concert....

in all, you need to buy used only, and at a bargain price....play for a while, get you fun, and then sell used again at bargain price to someone else on forum.....its the only way to sustain the hobbie of trying new ukes out and experimenting with new stuff.....unless your wealthy and can afford to lose a bundle of money...
    (Originally a Northern Yankee
    But now a good old southern boy)

Martin IZ Commenorative Tenor
    Koaloha Long Neck Soprano Koa
    Koaloha Opio Acacia Longneck Soprano
    Kamaka 100 year anniversary model hf-1
    Pono Acaia Taropatch 8 string
    Loprinzi soprano mahogany
    Cocobolo ukuleles soprano
    Southern Cross Banjo Concert
    Goldtone little gem concert banjo

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Life is short but you can make it very wide.
    This is my new favorite quote. There are so many things in my life that make it "wide." Taking my raft & my kayak into the wilderness with friends makes it wide. Playing my ukulele and making music with friends, at church, and just for me makes it wide. And yes..... searching for & getting a new uke makes it wide. Right now I'm in downsize mode with my ukuleles & enjoying the ones I have. But I'm always on the lookout and all those NAMM videos aren't helping.
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood

Freshly sanded Koa Noseplugs work for me...for a while.
    Ko'Aloha KTM-00 Tenor
    Kamaka White Label Baritone
    Martin 1T IZ Tenor

Uke longa, vita brevis
    Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Mainland Mahogany Classic; Mainland Red Cedar; Ohana SK-28; Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Musicguymic's "Kolohe" concert; Cordoba 24T; Cordoba 30T; Kanilea Islander MST-4; Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Wukulele View Post
    Re: medicine... In all reality, ukes could be construed as "durable medical equipment".
    And that's the problem - my insurance doesn't cover Durable Medical Equipment.

And if I tried to list the ukes as "anti-psychotic medication", they'd ask how many I have, and that would be Game Over.
    {watch this space} Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

I became a plugged in player and so am able to control "uke lust" by focusing on plugged in sound quality. That way, my sound is determined by the quality of the electronics installed (assuming a line in to a quality PA/monitor). It really doesn't matter if it is a $300 Pono or a $1000+ Ko'olau... a L.R. Baggs Five.O sounds like a L.R. Baggs Five.O. This way I can buy a couple of different "player's ukes" with quality pickups for a reasonable price and my ukelust is set... at least until they come out with future pickup technologies, haha.
    Last edited by King David; 02-05-2019 at 04:40 AM.

Thread Information