"Chunkier" Frets

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
I have had the Martin S-0 (Made-in-Mexico) soprano in the past, and recall that one of its distinguishing characteristics was its somewhat "chunkier" frets, which I thought of as almost "jumbo". I really liked the way they looked and felt. Does anyone know if there are any other brands of sopranos that feature those larger style frets? Thanks!

Hi, Bill!

Mahalo Kahiko Plus Wide Neck Soprano has 40mm nut and looks chunkier.

Pono uses chunkier fret wires. As a matter of fact I liked the size of them so much I specified that size when I had a Ono concert custom built. My LfdMs have the same size as does my Kimo super concert and Webber custom tenor. Again I had asked for that size to be used on those builds.. I have a Kala super soprano and thenfret wires are not the skinny type. I had a Collings and they use the skinny fret wire and I always had trouble playing barr chords cleanly on that uke, I eventually sold it.

I've just checked: Pono, Romero Creations and KoAloha Opio all have fret wires that are more on the "fat", "thick" or "chucky" side, whereas Kanilea and Moore Bettah have the thinnest and flatest frets in my collection.

Thank you, Tush, Dave, and Rake, for this input! I'll browse further with those thoughts in mind!

Fret wire personalities!

What are the pros and cons to fat frets?

The frets on my Anuenue AMM3 tenor are quite chunky.
But that range only comes in smallish body concert, large body concert and tenor, not in soprano.
I dont know about their cheaper models and their more expensive Bird series.

Fret wire personalities!

What are the pros and cons to fat frets?

Fretie, I like the fatter frets simply because they give me a feeling of being more "grounded" when I play. It's a hard sensation to describe, kind of a matter of personal taste, I guess!

The frets on my Anuenue AMM3 tenor are quite chunky.
But that range only comes in smallish body concert, large body concert and tenor, not in soprano.
I dont know about their cheaper models and their more expensive Bird series.

Thanks, Viking, I appreciate those additional thoughts!

Fretie, I like the fatter frets simply because they give me a feeling of being more "grounded" when I play. It's a hard sensation to describe, kind of a matter of personal taste, I guess!

Humm...now I am on the hunt for a fat fret uke to give some attention to how that would feel when playing...who doesn’t want to feel grounded! Thanks Bill.

Humm...now I am on the hunt for a fat fret uke to give some attention to how that would feel when playing...who doesn’t want to feel grounded! Thanks Bill.

Hahahaha! Yes! (Not the kind of "grounded" I experienced when I misbehaved as a youngster!)

Is there a more scientific, or at least more specific, way of discussing this. E.g., do frets have gauges, or circumferences, or something? I ask because it seems like it would be desirable to be able to approach a luthier and say something like I want a ukulele with 3 millimeter frets. Terms like chunkier are a bit subjective since we all don't have the same idea of what is a chunk and therefore what is more or less chunky. It could lead to misunderstanding and frustration when bespeaking a ukulele.

Good point, Ripock. I suspect there are more precise terms to apply to this fret-preference conversation. Perhaps one of the other forum members will offer some thoughts...?

Frets come in a wide range of sizes and metals from .05" to .1" and beyond. I prefer as low as thin as possible as I like a more smooth and fretless feel (like to touch the wood) but those coming from string bending on electric guitar tend to love those jumbo frets. The thing about tall jumbo frets is you can seat the string without touching the fingerboard wood so the optimal technique is a little different than the low 'n thin ones.

I think you can even buy them in spools of 100 feet...

https://www.lmii.com/35-fretwire

Last edited:
Frets come in a wide range of sizes and metals from .05" to .1" and beyond. I prefer as low as thin as possible as I like a more smooth and fretless feel (like to touch the wood) but those coming from string bending on electric guitar tend to love those jumbo frets. The thing about tall jumbo frets is you can seat the string without touching the fingerboard wood so the optimal technique is a little different than the low 'n thin ones.

I think you can even buy them in spools of 100 feet...

https://www.lmii.com/35-fretwire

Wow! A lot to choose from!

For those of you who are interested in such things, I suggest you go to the Stew-Mac and LMI websites. You will learn a lot about what choices are available to us luthiers. Anyone can order from them, you do not need a wholesale account. One thing I recommend that anyone who has more than 3 ukes get is the Stew-Mac string action gauge, it is a very handy tool and goes for around $23.
Bradford

Top Bottom