FedEx Delivery - 20°

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I just got a uke delivered, and it's 20° outside. Should I wait a whole day to open it? Tough call. According to the recommendations, there is a loophole that would let me open it immediately.

I think I'll wait a few hours, open the box, and wait a few more hours before opening the case.

What kind of uke is it? You'll have to wait until I open the case. :eek:

My camping uke (laminate Kala cedar top) sees pretty wild temperature swings (20s at night and up to 80 later that day) without issue but the changes happen gradually. I protect my solid ukes from that though.

I would probably leave it in it's case for the day. As your sig indicates, you're not lacking for something to play right now!

What's the hurry Jerry? I mean, why take a chance?

Last edited:
A loophole? That's just a way of bypassing what should be done instead. I'd wait. Why take any chances? It'll still be in the box tomorrow and it's not like you're without a uke. Maybe this struggle and lack of patience is a way of illustrating that you might be more into shopping and aquiring new ukes than playing ukes, plugging into that thrill of a new thing.

Last edited:
I just got a uke delivered, and it's 20° outside. Should I wait a whole day to open it?

From the subject header, I thought it's -20 by you. + 20 seems balmy to me right now. I'm looking forward to a heat wave like that.

Definitely at least wait a few hours, start opening the box, wait a few hours, take it out of the box but leave it in the case, and wait a few hours more. Then see how it feels to the touch. If still cold, (colder than your other ukulele cases), wait some more.

That may be a longer wait then you need, but IMO better to err on the side of caution than to have regrets because you opened it too quickly.

Thanks, all. I've developed patience along with age.

I did think about suggesting that you open it immediately, and let us know what happens, but since that probably wouldn't end well, I didn't wish that on either you or the ukulele.
(But I am curious - if it's someone else's ukulele, anyway. LOL.)

I did think about suggesting that you open it immediately, and let us know what happens, but since that probably wouldn't end well, I didn't wish that on either you or the ukulele.
(But I am curious - if it's someone else's ukulele, anyway. LOL.)

That's the type of thing I would say, "Sure go ahead and open it in front of a roaring fire." :eek:

Pictures tomorrow.

Top Bottom