Thread: Large Tenor or Baritone Recommendations ($1,000 or less) ?

Default Large Tenor or Baritone Recommendations ($1,000 or less) ?

I'd like to buy either a large tenor (thinking about the Mahogany Grand Tenor from Romero Creations) or maybe a baritone. However, most of the baritones I've watched videos of (haven't played many myself) sound too loose and muddy for me. Often they sound like the string tension is too low.

I want something with a more classical guitar-like sound (low G). The Grand Tenor sounds like just what I'm looking for, but that's about $700, so I don't want to overlook something else in that price range that might be good, and would prefer a baritone size if there's one that sounds good.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

-Brett

You can get strings for Bb or C tuning on baritone. Sounds like you might want a spruce top baritone with such a string set.
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G
    Kala KA-GL-Koa, G EFS O Warm/Worth B

Jim's Blog

I like my cedar topped Kala bari, but I have it with Living Water fluorocarbon strings, as I prefer a more mellow tone, might be worth you taking a look at.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thanks both of you for the replies. I hadn't thought about getting a bari and using a different tuning that might sound more to my liking...good idea. I know strings in general can really affect the sound you get. I've not tried Living Water strings.

-Brett

I play a Pono spruce top baritone. It sounds deep but not as muddy as some other baritones I’ve heard. Been selling ukes so I can possibly get one of Aaron Keim’s beansprout Baritones like this one:

I have the same uke and strings that Croaky Keith has and really enjoy playing it. I may change out the stings and try some wound basses again soon.
    BTW, that Beansproat Baritone sounds great. Both bright and full. If I win the lotto I’ll be giving Aaron a call.

Yeah, I really like Aaron's baritones. I've not played one, but I've watched most of his videos. A little out of my price range for now. I should probably just be patient and save up for one of his.

-Brett

Romero also makes the Grand Tenor in a solid top/lam B&S version, for about $375.00.

Romero Grand Tenor.jpg
    John

Thread Information