what are your favorite ukulele makers/brands?

Captain America

Reaction score
Just curious. Wondering if any specific brands/manufacturers get a lot of love.

I have 2 Kalas, 2 Ohanas and I'm looking at another Ohana. I had a Pono and it was a lovely uke but it was a tenor and that's how I learned I didn't like tenors so I sold it. I had a Lanikai starter uke which I sold but I sometimes regret it even though every uke above was a better uke.

If I get to pick, a 1930's Martin would make me happy.
I have 2 1920's Oscar Schmidt's. I inherited one so it has a special place in my heart. I am the third generation owner. They spend most of their time in the humidity controlled curio cabinet.
My daily players are a Cordoba solid top tenor (low G) and a Cordoba concert.

Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam and Kala.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

I would have to say Ohana, beings the last two that I've bought are Ohanas. But I didn't buy them both for that reason.

Although I have had good luck with Ohana and Kala, one brand that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention is Eddy Finn. I have their EF-15-S mahogany soprano, with the guitar-style split-shaft tuners and the shark-fin sound hole, and it's really sweet!

Currently my heart belongs to Romero Creations, Outdoor Ukes, Mya-Moe, LFdM, Fred Shields, and my Martin mahogany tenor (not all Martins, just that one). :)

Last edited:
When I started out, it was Kala, then I got some solid mahogany Ohanas, but decided to splash out on a KoAloha Opio, so it's KoAloha now, closely followed by Ohana, (both long neck concert ukes). :cool:

I have three Kala Ukes (see below) and a Kala tenor guitar, so I guess Kalas are my favorite. However, I really like my Luna concert a lot.
:eek:ld:

I've tried one tenor each of Ko'olau, Kanile'a, Koaloha, and Kamaka. I'm not convinced the Ko'olau was a good example of the brand, but I think the others are representative. Of these individual instruments, the Kanile'a is by far my favorite, so Kanile'a is my favorite brand. I just love the clean, pure tone it produces, especially on the 1st string.

No question about it, a WWII Martin concert. I Just stick to old stuff but I've been impressed with the current Luthier made, it's the way to go if you have just one.

Kiwaya first, I love the two I have.

Cordoba next. I've got two - love the cedar top tenor but I'm not bonding as well with the same series baritone. I have another Cordoba tenor coming tomorrow - all solid hog

I think if I were to "step up" to a "K" brand, I'd likely try a Kanilea as I like the neck carve and ample nut width on my Islander tenor.

LfdM (I own three, a tenor, super tenor and a baritone) I could sell everything else and be happy.
I'iwi
Ko'olau and Kimo are tied for third

A whole bunch of others have come and gone. It's all just personal preference.

Kanilea and Kiwaya, then Romero Creations. aNueNue seem good too.

I have several and my favorite is my DaSilva.
My Mike Pereira is very close though.

Top Bottom