what are your favorite ukulele makers/brands?

Kanile’a seems the most balanced to me. Sweet and warm and growing by the day. Bias much?

Last edited:
Pono and Romero Creations for their unusual designs and quality, Lichty, LFdM and Ko'olau CS for sound.

When I was first looking (in the $100-$350 range) I thought the best value was Ohana. For those who want/need a wider nut, I liked the Córdoba 30 series. I am impressed with the build quality of my Romero Creations ST Concert. I find the tiny tenor shape easier to hold. Have yet to try a Koaloha, but very impressed with the sound. Just bought a Rebel tenor, which is my current favorite.

Three Kings of Blues. B.B King, Albert King and Freddie King

Three Ks of Ukulele. Kamaka, Kiwaya and Koaloha

1. Romero Creations Tiny Tenor
2. Cocobolo Concert, with beveled armrest
3. My old beatup Kala concert cutaway solid mahog
4. Kamaka 8 string tenor

Kinnard
Mya-Moe
Koaloha
Romero Creations

Just curious. Wondering if any specific brands/manufacturers get a lot of love.
The way to look at brands is the likelihood that the workmanship and quality control will be good.
Beyond that it really boils down to the specific instrument, you can play 2 instruments from the same maker and have a clear favorite.
From the list below please remove riptide.
I do wish in the future I can own a Beau Hannam, Kanilea, Kamaka, KoAloha, Ohana retro models (ex: sk28), I forget the name but I'wili? It has 3 small holes on the front (played it at a fest and liked it).. too many more excellent makers.. can't try them all :-( forget about owning..

Of all those I have ever owned: Beansprout, G String (despite the finish not holding up), and Mya Moe. Of less expensive models I like and recommended Ohana. I'm not a fan of the shiny finishes currently popular with a lot of upper end makers and would refinish two of mine if I could easily.

My Kanile'a is the sweetest sounding uke in my small collection. I want to dedicate it to Baroque and Classical music.

Recently I bought a Kiwaya KSU-1L for travel purposes and really like it; but upon my return from Europe, I picked up my 1920s Martin Style 2 and was quite struck by its tone. It was far superior.

The Kanile'a or the Martin? I can't say which is my favorite. They serve different purposes and beat the other ukes I have and many that I have heard belonging to others.

Martin, Magic Fluke, and Mainland are my favorites! All great sounding, great playing, great looking Ukes that are extremely well made.

Scooter

This question is a lot like which of your children is your favorite?

All tenors
For all-around good value quality ukuleles: Pono
For higher end mass produced: Kamaka
Luthier-made: MP Mike Pereira

But this is subject to change at the time of my next acquisition. Whenever that happens....

I've owned a few, but my two tops are Kinnards and LdfM. Both of them are just terrific.

And I really love my Collings too. Heck, I like all my ukes, but these are the tops.

KoAloha Opio sapele soprano
Globe birch sopranino camp uke
Vega mahogany baritone
Kala spruce ovangkol soprano

All these would be the first out the door in a fire/flood/monsoon/tidal wave/earthquake etc. They are my favorites, sound wonderful, and are no longer made.

Last edited:
I have just bought a kiwaya ksu1l and it's become my favourite uke..just something very ' right ' about the playability and sound..my solid rosewood baton rouge soprano is another excellent instrument.. And my luthier made "John Claughton" soprano is a treasure..

I have just bought a kiwaya ksu1l and it's become my favourite uke..just something very ' right ' about the playability and sound..my solid rosewood baton rouge soprano is another excellent instrument.. And my luthier made "John Claughton" soprano is a treasure..

Congratulations! I'm waiting for a KS-1 myself. I have two of their artist series solid hog ukes but I heard so many good things about their laminates I had to try one.

My favorites makers so far:

David Ingalls of Ono Ukulele
Jesus Ortega of Guitarras Hortegs
Ohana

Top Bottom