Aquila Tenor Lava strings on a lightly constructed Concert Uke

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have an older solid mahogany Mele 6 string concert I bought 3 or 4 years ago (it was several years old then). It has some old black strings, and needs a crack repair below the saddle. It still sounds amazingly bright and loud. It's built lightly with amazing resonance and projection. I am trying to get a 6 string set, right now considering Aquila Lava's but no single strings available. Trying to avoid $20 for a set of strings. Any cautions about using the Tenor Lavas?

Attachments

• Front and case.jpg
    Front and case.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 31
I fit baritone strings to my tenor ukuleles all the time. Its standard practice for me these days yet I don't tune them up to GCEA. I tune them EAC#F#.

You could try them but your just going to have to feel when the tension is right and I doubt highly that going all the way to GCEA would work.

Aquila makes a 6-string set for tenor, product # "118U"

You can see them here, $7 USD + $5 USPS first class shipping =$12 USD:

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/aqlase6teuks.html

Strings By Mail does not list them for some reason. Not quite $20.

However, if there is a crack in the top, if it were me, I'd completely slack the strings with zero tension, and not play the instrument until after I could get it repaired. Otherwise, constant tension on the top while it sits in the case is maybe going to accelerate the severity of the problem.

Tenor strings on a concert would have less tension at standard GCEA tuning so that shouldn't be a problem. You might have trouble with the larger diameter, but they should still be in the ballpark.

I looked on the Mele site and they still make 6-string concert ukes. However, if you look at the strings for sale they only list 6-string sets for tenor not concert. My guess is that they use tenor sets for both.

For the best answer, I'd contact Mele and ask them.

Top Bottom