Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dehumidifier necessary?

Default Bay Area Dehumidifier

I just got a Premium Kanileía (which iíll Do a NUD on soon) that Iím in love with. I have the humidifier down, but do I need to worry about a dehumidifier? I live in the Bay Area. I had a solid top cedar guitar I never humidified or dehumidified. I know, ignorant, but it was fine. I just want to make sure my new baby is well taken care of. I searched other threads and just mainly saw humidifier info. I have a hygrometer enroute which will obviously answer a lot. I will salt test it and figure itís accuracy .

I really just wanted some dehumidifier recommendations. I saw the two way packs but the leak reviews scared me. Iím highly freightend of shi&$y products doing an extremely important job.

Thanks for any insight.

-Neurotic First Nice Uke Owner
    Last edited by Kibes37; 01-30-2019 at 08:50 PM.

I use the Boveda system, which protects against too little or too much humidity. I like it very much.
    Rebel NEO II Cedar/Maca Tenor
    Mya Moe Chocolate Mango Concert
    Romero Creations Koa ST Concert
    Concert Magic Fluke
    Gary Creedy Cherry Tenor
    Martin OX soprano
    Deering Goodtime Banjo Uke
    Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Baritone

Get a humidity gauge, as long as it's between 50% and 80% you are fine. A little lower or higher for short periods is Ok, but you want to try to stay within that range.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

According to Taylor Guitar, "Start with a Digital Hygrometer. A hygrometer will give you an accurate reading of the humidity level of the environment in which you store your guitar, which will help you monitor it. The ideal humidity range for an acoustic guitar is 45-55 percent, but 40-60 percent is generally acceptable."

I put all my ukes in a room, have 1 digital hygrometer and two cigar humidor hygrometers spread over the cases. I use a room humidifier. Trying to keep between 40-55% humidity.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lapyang

Joseph

What part of the Bay Area (California?) are you in? I am on the Peninsula and have two unopened humidifiers since I found out they are really unnecessary here... even in the winter when we were 100 degrees warmer last night than parts of the midwest.

Same with a dehumidifier. It never gets crazy humid to affect instruments.
    Last edited by rainbow21; 01-31-2019 at 08:08 AM.

You really need to gauge your normal humidity and extremes where the ukulele is stored. Over humidification can damage a ukulele as under humidification can.. ( well, different sorts of damage, but damage all the same!)

See this https://www.gotaukulele.com/2015/05/...-humidity.html

40-55 may seem a narrow range, but some brands recommend a tighter window!
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, BrŁko walnut soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Kibes37 View Post
    I have the humidifier down, but do I need to worry about a dehumidifier?
    I'm also a new solid uke owner with the same concern living in the Tampa Bay Area. I bought an Inkbird ITH-10 Digital Thermometer and Hygrometer Temperature Humidity Monitor to check on the conditions in my hard case. I typically see high-60's to low-70's of relative humidity instead of the oft quoted 45-55% range. I contacted HMS Customer Service and they replied "coming from a humid climate...[i.e. Hawaii]" that "as long as your ukulele is stored inside (possibly closer to an A/C unit, would reduce humidity level), I believe it should remain in good condition."

Quote Originally Posted by mgsondance View Post
    I use the Boveda system, which protects against too little or too much humidity. I like it very much.
    I'm interested in your experience. I looked at the Boveda system, but most of the reviews panned its ability to dehumidify well. What have you seen? How long do the packets last in higher humidity?

Thanks for the conversation.
    Adam

C.F. Martin (C1K) All Solid Koa Concert - Custom Seaguar Set (STS Salmon + Premier)
    C.F. Martin (S1) All Solid Mahogany Soprano - Martin M600 Clear Fluorocarbon Soprano/Concert
    Kremona Coco All Solid Cedar / Indian Rosewood - Uke Logic Hard Tension High G in Sandia Pink
    Outdoor Blue Nickel Soprano - Martin M600 Clear Fluorocarbon Soprano/Concert
    Kala (KA-SPMT-TRI) All Solid Spruce / Pau Ferro / Mango Tenor - Worth Brown Tenor + Fremont Soloist Low G
    Kala (KA-SWG-BL) Glow-in-the-Dark Aqua Matte Waterman Soprano - Martin M600 Clear Fluorocarbon Soprano/Concert

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    What part of the Bay Area (California?) are you in? I am on the Peninsula and have two unopened humidifiers since I found out they are really unnecessary here... even in the winter when we were 100 degrees warmer last night than parts of the midwest.

Same with a dehumidifier. It never gets crazy humid to affect instruments.

I’m 20 mins north of SF. I heat my house up pretty consistently in the winter. I’ve already seen my Oasis start to lose water. I am being anal, though. Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by Kibes37; 01-31-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    You really need to gauge your normal humidity and extremes where the ukulele is stored. Over humidification can damage a ukulele as under humidification can.. ( well, different sorts of damage, but damage all the same!)

See this https://www.gotaukulele.com/2015/05/...-humidity.html

40-55 may seem a narrow range, but some brands recommend a tighter window!

Canít be too careful when it comes to a potentially life long relationship. Thanks for the info

Thread Information