Dehumidifier necessary?

I'm a little north of you, and I use a dehumidifier and still can't get the relative humidity to go below 61%. I have it in a case and all of my cases are in a glass case with a dehumidifier. Someone suggested putting my Kanile'a in it's case and then the case in a plastic storage bin with the dehumidifier.

I'm a little north of you, and I use a dehumidifier and still can't get the relative humidity to go below 61%. I have it in a case and all of my cases are in a glass case with a dehumidifier. Someone suggested putting my Kanile'a in it's case and then the case in a plastic storage bin with the dehumidifier.

Do you have air conditioning at your place? Turn it on along with your heater and both should help lower the relative humidity.

Thanks for the info. I have been keeping an oasis humidifier in the sound hole and a D’Addario two way pack by the headstock. I have to refill my Oasis every 5 days or so.

Last edited:
Better to be realistic than paranoid but...humidity is very important. For example, I live in a quite wet climate and the humidity in a whole house is high. I’ve read that the recommended humidity is not more than 50%. So it is important to check the humidity level in the room (and in a whole house). In my situation, the best decision was to buy a whole house dehumidifier because the humidity was high everywhere and might cause different problems. If the humidity in the place where you keep your ukulele higher than 50% you may search for a small room dehumidifier (on Amazon or somewhere else).
P.S. Small one is better because it's cheaper itself and the bills won't be so high.

I live and work in Petaluma. I watch the humidity daily in my Woodshop. Lately it’s been swinging from as low as 11% all the way to 88% in the same day. I am aiming to maintain 45% in the shop.

I would definitely get a hydrometer and a dehumidifier. It’s cheaper than fixing a crack on one instrument.

Any leaks ever?

I use the Boveda Packs. They also make the D'Addario Paks. The 49% Guitar Packs keep the hard case at around 45% RH ± 3%. I cut the saddle bag covers in two and use a single pack either inside the soundhole, or if there is room, by the heel of the uke.
I use a small (Slightly larger than a sugar pack) 49% pack by the headstock without a cover.

In two years, I've never had one leak.

I have, however, had an Oasis leak. Fortunately, not in my ukulele. I think the crystals needed to be refilled. I usually fill an Oasis with water after recharging the crystals, and let it sit for a few days before I put them in the ukes.

Better to be realistic than paranoid but...humidity is very important. For example, I live in a quite wet climate and the humidity in a whole house is high. IÂ’ve read that the recommended humidity is not more than 50%. So it is important to check the humidity level in the room (and in a whole house). In my situation, the best decision was to buy a whole house dehumidifier because the humidity was high everywhere and might cause different problems. If the humidity in the place where you keep your ukulele higher than 50% you may search for a small room dehumidifier (on Amazon or somewhere else).
P.S. Small one is better because it's cheaper itself and the bills won't be so high.

Totally agree with you. But I think a portable dehumidifier is enough. It's easy to setup (you need to hire a certified contractor when it comes to installing whole house dehumidifier), plus it's more energy efficient than whole house units according to thedehumidifierexperts.com

I’m 20 mins north of SF. I heat my house up pretty consistently in the winter. I’ve already seen my Oasis start to lose water. I am being anal, though. Thanks for the reply.

How do you know if it's losing water? I'm in Oakland and mine usually sits on top of a case on my coffee table. I've never used a humidifier

Didn't even ask: is this just applying to Koa instruments? Mine's a solid cedar top Kala with laminate sides.

Last edited:
Get a humidity gauge, as long as it's between 50% and 80% you are fine. A little lower or higher for short periods is Ok, but you want to try to stay within that range.

Thank you very much for the information!

I bought my dehumidifier at Gavri and I didn't know how much I had to put it on, but I'll listen to you and try to keep it within that% range.

I use both Boveda & D'Addario HumidiPacks in all of my ukulele cases. (Both are made by Boveda.)

This summer when the RH in the house was 65% for around two months, even with the whole house A/C going, the RH in the cases remained at 43-45%.

Interestingly, I pulled some crystalized packs out and put new ones in. I had the crystalized packs on a cart and forgot about them for several weeks. The crystals had re-liquefied and the packs were ready to go again! One had a damp spot on the outer paper and I tossed it. The others are all working just fine.

I just use one pack inside a sleeve tucked around the heel area of the uke. That seems to be enough for all my ukes.

Top Bottom