Interested in a cutaway tenor

Bought from David Hurd of Kawika. His last run of ukuleles for sale. I believe it may be the first and last cutaway he made. Spalted koa neck, redwood top, Ziricote back.

It’s awesome. The only reason I am selling it is because I had Kamaka build me a tenor with ebony fretboard and bridge and all the abalone goodies on the head start going around the sound hole that I wanted.

I tried posting pictures of it yesterday but could not figure it out. Don’t let the new B status scarier I had to re-register under a different email because I just could not get my other account activated tried over and over and over and over :)

If you can find one and don't mind spending $$$, the aNueNue UT200 Moon Bird tenor is a magnificent instrument.
IMG_5542.jpg

The aNueNue is an absolutely fantastic instrument! Not only does it sound great and play well, but every time you look at it, you see something new and interesting - some small detail you missed before.

The aNueNue is an absolutely fantastic instrument! Not only does it sound great and play well, but every time you look at it, you see something new and interesting - some small detail you missed before.

The hard part is finding one - join the club :wallbash:

There's one on Fleamarket Marketplace (Magic Fluke's site) right now.

Still haven't obtained a cutaway yet. May go with one of the Kalas, but I thought I might want to try an Ohana. I like the lower price range of those, and it seems the K brands dont really have many cutaway options. Anyone also have an opinion on the scoop?

There is a Moon Bird tenor available at HMS...though pricing is definitely more than the Kala or Ohana options. :D

There's a Kala KA-SMHT-SC at the music store where I teach. I've played it several times and can confirm that the scallop cutaway removes enough material to make accessing the higher frets easier.

Note that while the Kala ukes are generally good, most of them don't have much brilliance, and their tone suffers as you ascend the frets. This may be something you'll simply have to live with at the low price point unless you can visit a store that has a large inventory of cutaway and scalloped tenor ukes.

I found an Islander ASARM-T and it is a FANTASTIC ukulele. I think they started around $600 but were discontinued. Last I checked at The Ukulele Site, they had a couple in the warehouse and were clearing them out at about $300. They had two in the shop - one had stock strings and one had just been strung up with a low-g set and it was night and day (and you can't get much more cutaway than that one).

Still haven't obtained a cutaway yet. May go with one of the Kalas, but I thought I might want to try an Ohana. I like the lower price range of those, and it seems the K brands dont really have many cutaway options. Anyone also have an opinion on the scoop?

I have an Ohana TK-35CG. It's a solid mahogany tenor with gloss finish and nice cutaway. It's currently strung with a set of Low G Living Waters strings, which sound really good on this instrument, and also make it easy to play. I really like the neck profile. Unfortunately, the tenor scale just doesn't work for my small, arthritic hands anymore, and I have acquired several new concert ukes, so I'm probably going to part with the Ohana. But I will miss it's warmth and comfortability (aside from the tenor scale).

HMS weekly deal this week is on Kala cedar-top tenors, both with and without a cutaway.

Personally I’m not big on the stock electronics, so if it were me I would take the non-cutaway since it is acoustic only, but ymmv.

Last edited:
Would you consider a scoop rather than a cutaway?

Perhaps. I’m leaning towards a Mainland mahogany at the moment, but it’ll likely be several months before I’m ready to purchase my next uke (upgrade, I swear I’ll sell or give away my current tenor!). There is plenty of time to change my mind.

Top Bottom