Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Interested in a cutaway tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Maiden Uke View Post
    There's one on Fleamarket Marketplace (Magic Fluke's site) right now.
    Thanks for the tip, but it's got a pickup - which I don't want. But maybe someone else here does??
    "Got a whole lot of nothing, and I watch it like a hawk." - Louis Prima, 'I'm Living in a Great Big Way'

Still haven't obtained a cutaway yet. May go with one of the Kalas, but I thought I might want to try an Ohana. I like the lower price range of those, and it seems the K brands dont really have many cutaway options. Anyone also have an opinion on the scoop?

There is a Moon Bird tenor available at HMS...though pricing is definitely more than the Kala or Ohana options.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

There's a Kala KA-SMHT-SC at the music store where I teach. I've played it several times and can confirm that the scallop cutaway removes enough material to make accessing the higher frets easier.

Note that while the Kala ukes are generally good, most of them don't have much brilliance, and their tone suffers as you ascend the frets. This may be something you'll simply have to live with at the low price point unless you can visit a store that has a large inventory of cutaway and scalloped tenor ukes.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

I found an Islander ASARM-T and it is a FANTASTIC ukulele. I think they started around $600 but were discontinued. Last I checked at The Ukulele Site, they had a couple in the warehouse and were clearing them out at about $300. They had two in the shop - one had stock strings and one had just been strung up with a low-g set and it was night and day (and you can't get much more cutaway than that one).

Quote Originally Posted by valde002 View Post
    Still haven't obtained a cutaway yet. May go with one of the Kalas, but I thought I might want to try an Ohana. I like the lower price range of those, and it seems the K brands dont really have many cutaway options. Anyone also have an opinion on the scoop?
    I have an Ohana TK-35CG. It's a solid mahogany tenor with gloss finish and nice cutaway. It's currently strung with a set of Low G Living Waters strings, which sound really good on this instrument, and also make it easy to play. I really like the neck profile. Unfortunately, the tenor scale just doesn't work for my small, arthritic hands anymore, and I have acquired several new concert ukes, so I'm probably going to part with the Ohana. But I will miss it's warmth and comfortability (aside from the tenor scale).
    KoAloha KCM-00 (koa concert)
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia concert)
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele (yew concert)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)
    UKES LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME:
    *Ohana TK-35CG (mahogany tenor w/cutaway)
    *Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    *Snail SUC (solid top mahogany concert)

HMS weekly deal this week is on Kala cedar-top tenors, both with and without a cutaway.

Personally I’m not big on the stock electronics, so if it were me I would take the non-cutaway since it is acoustic only, but ymmv.
    Last edited by YogiTom; 08-01-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Quote Originally Posted by YogiTom View Post
    . . .so if it were me I would take the non-cutaway since it is acoustic only, but ymmv.
    This is my biggest complaint about the Kala cedar cutaway. The electronics adds ~$100 for a feature I would never use.

Would you consider a scoop rather than a cutaway?
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)

Perhaps. I’m leaning towards a Mainland mahogany at the moment, but it’ll likely be several months before I’m ready to purchase my next uke (upgrade, I swear I’ll sell or give away my current tenor!). There is plenty of time to change my mind.

Thread Information