Interested in a cutaway tenor

valde002

Reaction score
I am thinking about acquiring another uke. This time it would have to be a tenor cutaway. I am a huge Kamaka fan and would love one from them but they do not make a cutaway version of their tenors. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Not sure about the scoop, as I want to get to fret a high A. Thanks for any input.

I tried sending you a PM (twice) but you have exceeded your PM storage and need to delete old PMs to receive new ones--

Mim recommended the Kala KAATP-CTG-CE with preamp/pickup for $379 and I went for it. An excellent uke, I think it comes very close to the $1000 K brands.

Kala cedar mine.jpg

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Mim recommended the Kala KAATP-CTG-CE with preamp/pickup for $379 and I went for it. An excellent uke, I think it comes very close to the $1000 K brands.

Kala cedar mine.jpg

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org

Nice, will check that one out. Looks like you have gone the cutaway route...

Nice, will check that one out. Looks like you have gone the cutaway route...
I only play cutaway, guitars, bass, ukes. Been that way since 1964.

Kala electric Tenor w/ cutaway Marcy Marxer ltd. Edition

For sale on the Flea Market Music Marketplace right now ...

I hav this model that I’m willing to part with. PM me if you want to know more.

thanks for the offer and the lead sam and Kardog! Looking more for something with a Koa or cedar top or all acacia. I want to make my next purchase the only one, so I am extra picky!

The KA-ATP-CTG-CE has a solid cedar top and laminate acacia back and sides. I started out on one. It's a very good 'ukulele, especially if you below the 8th fret, but some examples of the model can get a bit thin as you move up the neck (in comparison to higher-end instruments that cost two to three times as much).

thanks for the offer and the lead sam and Kardog! Looking more for something with a Koa or cedar top or all acacia. I want to make my next purchase the only one, so I am extra picky!

Look for a Pono with a radius to boot ... it will make you happy!

No problem. It does have a solid cedar top, but yes it is not a Kamaka. :)

yeah. I'm bummed that the big K does not make them unless your name is Kalei G!

Will keep looking around, and will probably go with the Kala KAATP-CTG-CE since it seems like a popular choice.

I just saw that a Pono rosewood spruce slothead cutaway pro classic tenor showed up at Elderly tonight.

002, now I see on another thread that you don't like rosewood and spruce. Have you considered a koa Tiny Tenor? Only 16 frets total, but you would have good access for the 12th fret A, if that's the A you mean. Obviously, it's not enough if you're going for the 16th fret A.

002, now I see on another thread that you don't like rosewood and spruce. Have you considered a koa Tiny Tenor? Only 16 frets total, but you would have good access for the 12th fret A, if that's the A you mean. Obviously, it's not enough if you're going for the 16th fret A.

thanks bukeh for the info. Yes, I find that I try to fret the high A pretty frequently.

The Ukesite thinks highly of these as well

Top Bottom