Side dot material

Timbuck

Reaction score
I have tried several different types of 2.5 mm plastic rod for side dots but I always seem to end up with some of them having a small hole in the centre that looks crap :( and I have to redo them...anybody else get this.?

I always save the stuff with holes thinking I'll find a contrasting color to fill the hole with, but it's such a small hole that I've had no luck. Dyed epoxy is too much trouble, but I keep thinking about red rods filled with black dots.

For a pure white dot, I always bite the bullet and buy the StewMac rods. Back in the day, I used to buy 1/8" black and white Delrin rods to cap hammered dulcimer bridges, and I liked to use them as guitar side dots. They would work for ukulele dots on the fingerboard but might look funny on the side.

I used to be a low-level Martin dealer and they use to throw freebies into my orders. One was a bundle of 1/16" black side dot rods. They lasted for years.

I've used the Stewmac rods , they worked fine but they are a very pure white, a little too white I thought , but no hole in the center. . I've done it by drilling a hole and using ivory colored latex paint and that worked great.
I'm no luthier , I did it on my ukes , I've also used a rub on dot , at the fifth fret , on my Martin SO , it looks great and has been there for years.

Last edited:
Pete you've just given me a great idea..I have a press tool set up for punching 2.5mm rivet holes in the string spacing dividers I'll just pop a strip of binding into that and punch out a set of dots 3 at a time.:). :smileybounce:

a small hole in the centre that looks crap :( and I have to redo them...anybody else get this.?

Yes! I too have gotten this before. These are from StewMac too. ($$$). I just keep snipping until the hole disappears. I missed this one...

fretbboard2.jpg

PS: Ignore fret end dressing damage. It is a close-up picture. Also I was pick one: in a hurry, tired, cranky, bored, intoxicated, all of the above.

I've only ever used stewmac rods and never had that issue.
I like Petes idea about the leather punch, might have to give that a try.

I've been using Sterling Silver for my side dots....I do some metal-smiting & make jewelry as well as ukes so it wasn't a far leap.....I feel like it adds an sweet embellishment and shines up nicely...but really any material will work if you like it. Perl, abalone, bone, plastic, contrasting wood, stone, various metals like copper, silver, gold, steel, brass...you get the picture....

I figure that this is just one of those places you can play around a bit and make it your own...Of course your doing reproductions of the classic Martins and that's different story. Seems like the quality control on that plastic leaves a lot to be desired.

With all that said, last night I pretty much decided I am going to switch over to doing some simple stone inlay on my next batch...just to switch it up a bit.

Attachments

• DSC_0478.jpg
    DSC_0478.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Never built an instrument, but for knives I used some great materials from Jantz supply. They have some mosaic pin material which is too large I imaging for side dots, but have some quality brass and other materials that would work well. The larger material would be great for front markers.

Top Bottom