Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HMS and Uke Republic

Default HMS and Uke Republic

I've purchased all my ukes from my local music store. I'm considering my next purchase from HMS or UR. I pretty sure either would be just fine, but just checking. I understand HMS does a full set-up. Does UR also do full set-ups? Thoughts on either/both store/s?
    Any other store to consider (I'm leaning Pono or Kala)?
    Last edited by frets alot; 02-01-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    Susie
    Guitars: 6 Taylor's ● 1 Martin
    Ukes: Kala KA-ZCT-T (Ziricote Tenor) ● Kala KA-SSTU-B (Spruce/Mahogany Thinline Baritone)
    Other: 4 Mountain Dulcimers ● 7 Native American Flutes
    ...and they all get played!

You might also want to consider buying from Mim.
    She sells Pono, too. The ukulele that I bought from her is the best set up of any of my ukuleles. We talked about what I liked, and she did a great job.

Mim, Uke Republic and Elderly Instruments do a full set-up. I have purchased a uke from both Uke Republic and Mim with good results. I haven't purchased from Elderly thus far, but I've had good communication from them when I had questions about ukes they had for sale.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

Elderly is my local store (since 1974), but I can't do a Pono from them. Kala, yes.
    Susie
    Ukes: Kala KA-ZCT-T (Ziricote Tenor) ● Kala KA-SSTU-B (Spruce/Mahogany Thinline Baritone)

Mike and Donna at UR do Great Setups. I’ve bought from all three and UR did the best setups and offered the best service. I would go with UR.

Tom
    TomtheBaptist

Mim here... I just sold my last Pono. If you want a Pono check into Hawaiian Music Supply. He is the son of the owner of Pono so is always fully stocked.
    In that price point, also take a peek at the Opios. I love the tone and my customers do too.
    www.mimsukes.com... facebook... twitter... Youtube: For Fun... Youtube: Business...
    You're an awesome maniac! -Mark Stay weird, Mim. -RichM
    ...perhaps your quality expectation looks different from me. -PK

I think you'll find the best selection at HMS/The Ukulele Site, as Mim mentioned; and I agree with Mim about the Opio option. I've been happy buying from Mim, and from HMS.
    KoAloha tenor (Baggs 5.0) Godin MultiUke Pono Spruce/Acacia Baritone AB-SP Islander solid mahogany concert Kala spruce top "travel" baritone Islander laminate tenor (Pono passive) Ohana laminate tenor Kala Longneck Soprano laminate 12 Makala Dolphins/Sharks 1 Mahalo soprano my daughter's abandoned Flea

Quote Originally Posted by Mim View Post
    Mim here... I just sold my last Pono. If you want a Pono check into Hawaiian Music Supply. He is the son of the owner of Pono so is always fully stocked.
    In that price point, also take a peek at the Opios. I love the tone and my customers do too.
    Is there an Opio baritone?
    Susie

I have had a great experience with all three. The Ukulele Site has been very good with their customer service, UkeRepublic had quick, quality service, and Elderly had a great price on a book I bought. I have never worked with Mim (sorry Mim, maybe someday). Sounds like any one of these should be able help you. Hope you find your perfect uke!

Quote Originally Posted by frets alot View Post
    Is there an Opio baritone?
    Oh, doh, Baritone.
    Yeah either Kala or Pono are really great on Baritones due to them having a truss rod. But my Baritone selection is quite thin.
    If you are leaning towards Baritone Pono hit up the Ukulele Site. I like the Pono Baritones a lot.
    www.mimsukes.com... facebook... twitter... Youtube: For Fun... Youtube: Business...
    You're an awesome maniac! -Mark Stay weird, Mim. -RichM
    ...perhaps your quality expectation looks different from me. -PK

Thread Information