HMS and Uke Republic

^^^ I take it as...she's not carrying Pono anymore.:rolleyes:

I live on Oahu so I am a bit more familiar with HMS than with other dealers.

HMS has the broadest selection of Pono's, and a goodly selection of Kalas, as well as several other uke brands.

The HMS website gives very detailed specifications on every uke they sell. Also, almost every listing for each indiviual uke offers a sound demonstration by an expert player. Their sound samples are completely dry with no added reverb or compression.

In the past I have bought 2 ukes from Mim -- a Kala baritone & an Ohana long-neck concert. Both were superbly set-up, in pristine condition, with speedy delivery to Hawaii.

I've purchased all my ukes from my local music store. I'm considering my next purchase from HMS or UR. I pretty sure either would be just fine, but just checking. I understand HMS does a full set-up. Does UR also do full set-ups? Thoughts on either/both store/s?
Any other store to consider (I'm leaning Pono or Kala)?

Hi - Mike here from Uke Republic,
I just wanted to let you know that yes, we do a full - Pro set up on everything we ship out. Both Pono and Kala make some excellent baritones. The Pono stock has gotten a little low since Koolau their parent company, has ran out of a few models but according to John the owner, more are due in March/April. They will have some sweet thin body mango baritones coming in natural, charcoal, blue and red translucent stains.
Kala will have some new solid spruce top models with both ebony and exotic mahogany back and sides coming out late spring. Plenty of other Kala models available.

I've had great experiences with HMS and Mike at the Uke Republic. It's consoling to know that they will both take good care of their customers (and their customer's ukes).

Mim here... I just sold my last Pono. If you want a Pono check into Hawaiian Music Supply. He is the son of the owner of Pono so is always fully stocked.
In that price point, also take a peek at the Opios. I love the tone and my customers do too.
Hi Mim, do you have baritone ukuleles in the $200 - $250 price range. Please let me know

Hi Mim, do you have baritone ukuleles in the $200 - $250 price range. Please let me know
Message Mim directly for best response, this is a 2 year old thread.

Message Mim directly for best response, this is a 2 year old thread.

Yes - this is an old thread for sure, and No - it does not look like Mim carries baritones anymore. ro-sims is looking for advice in another thread or two. Hope he finds what he is looking for. Has gotten some good suggestions in the other thread in forum Buying Tips category.

I guess on the off chance Mim would have one not listed on her site, which is maybe a long shot, sims could shoot an email or call her directly from Mim's website contact info.

Mim hasn't carried baritones for a pretty long time. The suggestion to eMail her will get the best update as to why... perhaps she's just not restocked! FWIW, I spoke with another seller about shipping costs and how they can ship "for free" (to us). I asked because I've sold concert, tenor, and baritone sizes, with gig bags (not hard cases). Concert size/weight boxes cost me $35-38 US while the baritone was nearly $55 (box length and depth were the two variables that affected price). Point being, Mim ships to us for free. If shipping costs her nearly 50% more, that might be an incentive to discontinue the line. [ Yes, I understand she probably gets more of a wholesale rate, but the differential, any differential surely cuts into small profit margins. ]

Last edited:
Mim hasn't carried baritones for a pretty long time. The suggestion to eMail her will get the best update as to why... perhaps she's just not restocked! FWIW, I spoke with another seller about shipping costs and how they can ship "for free" (to us). I asked because I've sold concert, tenor, and baritone sizes, with gig bags (not hard cases). Concert size/weight boxes cost me $35-38 US while the baritone was nearly $55 (box length and depth were the two variables that affected price). Point being, Mim ships to us for free. If shipping costs her nearly 50% more, that might be an incentive to discontinue the line. [ Yes, I understand she probably gets more of a wholesale rate, but the differential, any differential surely cuts into small profit margins. ]

EDIT: I'm 'updated' ... I checked her website and did a search on 'baritone'... as of 4/3/2022 she shows three Ohana bari's starting at $259. Free shipping with over $200 sale.
Those are baritone body - tenor neck Ukes she has - No Baritone scale ukes. Basically Big body tenors.

Anyway ro_sims has another thread going in another area of the forum better related for topic in his search for a baritone...
Has gotten a number of good suggestions from several members there. See thread in Buying Tips category.

Last edited:
Top Bottom