Custom Uke Owners

Kibes37

Reaction score
I would love to hear some experiences with owning custom Ukes. When I reach a certain playing ability I’m definitely going that route. Thanks for any replies.

P.s. pics welcome.

Hi Kibes:

There are many positives about the experience of commissioning a custom built instrument. It is like anticipating the birth of a child. The best part is working with the builder to design it together with your thoughts in mind and with the recommendations of the builder. Along the way ask the builder to send pictures of their progress. Then you eagerly await for the birth of the baby. The tension and excitement of waiting for the delivery of the baby is a nerve wracking but rewarding experience.

There is one big negative that you should be cognizant of. Just because the builder has a good reputation alone is not enough. What if you don't like the sound quality? It doesn't mean the builder did a bad job. It just means that your opinion of sound quality does not match what the builder can make. Perception of sound quality is different for each individual. I recommend that you find an instrument that he or she had previously built, and see if it meets your standards for sound quality. Visit the builder if possible. You live in the Bay Area, which has many fine builders. Tony Graziano, Rick Turner, Mike DaSilva are close to you. Ask fellow forum members if they would be willing to show you their ukulele from the same builder.

Sometimes you will get lucky and its a good match. I have 6 custom instruments (ukuleles and guitars). My first custom was a bit of a disappointment because I did not play prior to ordering. After that, a lesson was learned, and my other 5 instruments turned out to my liking. Good luck in your journey.

Hi Kibes:

There are many positives about the experience of commissioning a custom built instrument. It is like anticipating the birth of a child. The best part is working with the builder to design it together with your thoughts in mind and with the recommendations of the builder. Along the way ask the builder to send pictures of their progress. Then you eagerly await for the birth of the baby. The tension and excitement of waiting for the delivery of the baby is a nerve wracking but rewarding experience.

There is one big negative that you should be cognizant of. Just because the builder has a good reputation alone is not enough. What if you don't like the sound quality? It doesn't mean the builder did a bad job. It just means that your opinion of sound quality does not match what the builder can make. Perception of sound quality is different for each individual. I recommend that you find an instrument that he or she had previously built, and see if it meets your standards for sound quality. Visit the builder if possible. You live in the Bay Area, which has many fine builders. Tony Graziano, Rick Turner, Mike DaSilva are close to you. Ask fellow forum members if they would be willing to show you their ukulele from the same builder.

Sometimes you will get lucky and its a good match. I have 6 custom instruments (ukuleles and guitars). My first custom was a bit of a disappointment because I did not play prior to ordering. After that, a lesson was learned, and my other 5 instruments turned out to my liking. Good luck in your journey.

Fantastic info. Thank you. I could only imagine the anticipation. I might be too high strung with my top possessions to even own one ;)

I have custom ukes, I have the same advice, be sure you go over every little detail and aspect of the build. With my bass uke, I didn't specify the neck width or putting an access panel on the back to make the fat poly string changes easier. I also made the mistake of requesting fretless, which was difficult for me to get used to with my other bass ukes being fretted. After a couple of years of use, I retired it. But with the others ukes, I was very specific and they came out very well. I actually did my own drawings since I do graphic design and have the apps and experience.

Custom Ukulele All.jpg

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Last edited:
My advise would be to educate yourself about what you like or dislike in an instrument, looking at three categories: looks, sound, playability. There are thousands of demo videos to be found on the internet. Better yet, of course, would be to visit stores or makers if you have the opportunity to do so. Find out how you feel about different tonewoods as well as additional features such as slotted headstocks, beveled armrests, side sound ports, radius fretboards, pickups, binding, inlay work, etc.

Then start to think about which features you would like to include in your instrument, and who is the builder who will most likely be able to deliver what you are looking for. Most of them have a signature sound, so make sure to choose one whose sound - and builds - you like. Or choose a couple of builders to start discussing what you would like and then go with the one you feel better about.

Then, just like lfoo mentioned, discuss your ideas with the builder, and listen to his ideas and recommendations. They know best what will work with their builds, and what they are comfortable with. One point you shouldn't forget to ask in advance is the approximate time until completion. Most of the well-respected builders have quite a backlog. Make sure you have a uke to play in the meantime (I see you have a Kanilea, so you're all settled for a long wait).

I have custom ukes, I have the same advice, be sure you go over every little detail and aspect of the build. With my bass uke, I didn't specify the neck width or putting an access panel on the back to make the fat poly string changes easier. I also made the mistake of requesting fretless, which was difficult for me to get used to with my other bass ukes being fretted. After a couple of years of use, I retired it. But with the others ukes, I was very specific and they came out very well. I actually did my own drawings since I do graphic design and have the apps and experience.

Custom Ukulele All.jpg

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Pretty cool to have that design background to apply. Amazing collection. Thanks for the reply.

My advise would be to educate yourself about what you like or dislike in an instrument, looking at three categories: looks, sound, playability. There are thousands of demo videos to be found on the internet. Better yet, of course, would be to visit stores or makers if you have the opportunity to do so. Find out how you feel about different tonewoods as well as additional features such as slotted headstocks, beveled armrests, side sound ports, radius fretboards, pickups, binding, inlay work, etc.

Then start to think about which features you would like to include in your instrument, and who is the builder who will most likely be able to deliver what you are looking for. Most of them have a signature sound, so make sure to choose one whose sound - and builds - you like. Or choose a couple of builders to start discussing what you would like and then go with the one you feel better about.

Then, just like lfoo mentioned, discuss your ideas with the builder, and listen to his ideas and recommendations. They know best what will work with their builds, and what they are comfortable with. One point you shouldn't forget to ask in advance is the approximate time until completion. Most of the well-respected builders have quite a backlog. Make sure you have a uke to play in the meantime (I see you have a Kanilea, so you're all settled for a long wait).

I am over the moon with my new ukulele. It is interesting to me that all the production K brands seem to possess one thing or another the other does not. It seems one just slightly edges out the other. And even though I’m sure everyone is happy with their final decision for the most part, they can’t help but be curious. I am. I considered buying one of all 3 K brands and then selling two once I knew. Ultimately I’m very happy with my decision, but figured a custom uke would be the closest to a unicorn uke. I’m not someone who will have a huge collection of ukuleles. I will have a beater a solid medium and my top dog.

Also, I realize there are many great brands besides the K’s, they just don’t (unless we’re talking custom) interest me. I am just fantasizing here. I was fortunate enough to get such a nice Kanile’a due to the fact I caught the Uke flu and sold my prize possession Seagull guitar within a week of getting my Kala to see if I was into it. My wife will not allow custom Uke money to be distributed anytime soon... but I do have TWO kidneys still.

Last edited:

I second what Rainer says here
In my opinion it’s not about your playing ability
It’s more to do with your knowledge of the wood and your like and dislike just as Rainer advised.
If you don’t know what tone you like even a well known luthier can disappoint you. Look is just icing on the cake. To me the sound and strings respond are most important

Last edited:
excellent advice so far. My only addition would be to realize that production instruments today are so good that you don't *need* a custom uke. It isn't going to make you a better player and it isn't going to sound like angels singing straight from your fingertips to your ears. It's still a uke. Now I say that as someone whose collection at this point consists mostly of commissioned instruments, so I'm not trying to dissuade you at all. Just keep the right perspective, enjoy the process, and you'll be much more likely to enjoy the end product.

Last edited:
I own a few - two from Rob Collins at Tinguitar, and one by Kevin Mulcock at KM Ukuleles

This was an article I did about Rob when I went up to his shop to agree the specs on a solid body tenor he made for me.

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2014/11/a-trip-to-uk-ukulele-luthier-rob.html

This is the KM ukulele which was sent to me on loan so not quite custom (though Kev does make customs). I liked it so much I bought it as I couldn't bear to send it back!
https://www.gotaukulele.com/2018/03/km-ukuleles-dreadnought-mahogany.html

What I like about custom builds are twofold

1. you can specify exactly what you want, and often actually visit the luthier and inspect the raw wood stock to choose - I did that with Rob Collins. It means you KNOW that what you have is unique to you.

2. They are often far cheaper than people assume they are. All of my handmade ukuleles cost significantly less than some of the big name ukes from Hawaii.

I've never had a custom ukulele built for me, so take my opinion for what it is worth, but if I were to buy a custom ukulele I would have it built because I wanted a ukulele that had something specific that I couldn't get from a manufactured ukulele. No use spending all that time and money buying something that you could have gotten from Kala. I've seen used custom ukuleles on vendor's tables at ukulele festivals and some of them look and sound just like all of the other ukuleles sitting next to them. Just a higher price tag.

I own six ukuleles: two factory-built, four luthier-built. I only commissioned one of them. Did I really know what I wanted when I commissioned it? No. Was this a mistake? Yes.

That said, I am thrilled with my commissioned ukulele. I can't credit the luthier enough with taking the care to listen to my request and translate it into something that I love. Or perhaps, I am just very lucky that everything turned out so well and I received an instrument that resonates so well with me. Or perhaps, the not-insignificant sum I spent on it has colored my perception.

Thoughts on luthier-built instruments:
- luthier built instruments are a lovely thing
- luthier built instruments have a personality, variability, and style that manufactured ukes don't
- you can own a top-quality luthier-built instrument at a steep discount by purchasing somebody else's questionable decision in the UU marketplace. I obtained three of my luthier-built ukuleles this way at an average cost of 1/3 what the custom build cost me. these are fantastic instruments

Thoughts on custom builds:
- I didn't need a custom build. neither do you. there is nothing magical about a custom instrument and commissioning one is a fairly substantial risk
- be prepared to wait. a. long. time. in my case, it was a whole year
- I agree 100% with what Rakelele said in his post above. observe what you like in a ukulele and know what you want in your custom build
- choose a luthier that you like. for sure, check his reputation in the community and try out his instruments. but don't forget to take some time to get to know the man and his philosophy on ukulele. if you and your luthier are well-aligned, you will have a better chance at successful communication and mutual understanding. this is one place where I think things went really right for me

Consider buying a used custom ukulele. You’ll see it finished and you’ll be able to get sound samples. The wood will have opened up already, too. It will usually cost quite a bit less and you can sell it if or when you commission a real custom.

Wow, you guys are really helpful. I’m fairly aware that the high end production Ukes are not going to be beat by much or at all with the sound. I do like the idea of working close with a luthier and coming up with a product that is overall just for me. That would probably be 5-10 yrs away. It would be a trophy of sorts for accomplishing my goal of becoming a seasoned well rounded Uke player. At that point I will know exactly what I want. Again thanks, awesome replies!

I would love to hear some experiences with owning custom Ukes. When I reach a certain playing ability I’m definitely going that route. Thanks for any replies.

P.s. pics welcome.

Often selection of the luthier comes from a attraction to their previous works or having a friend who has a uke..

When I started out I really did not know what I wanted and I have found that luthiers themselves are a great source of learning.. now that I have played a few ukes my main reason for a custom would be to
1. Specify the neck
2. Specify the woods
The inlay stuff is hard for me cause either I am too vague or too specific and overall do not really care.. about looks over sound and playability.
with folks like Mya Moe beansprout etc I don’t think you can specify a neck profile.. but only size and wood selection. I have 4 ukes coming in this year and all of them are custom with the non sopranos having their neck modified for a fatter profile.
you might want to read https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?136716-Necks!!-Drop-your-2-cents-here
It is healthy to over through a few ukes over time as hands, muscle memory and ears develops, along with one’s catalogue of songs and skills, there is better understanding of what one wants from a uke..
i discovered my fondness for fatter neck profiles when I played a non custom Rick Turner Compass Rose..

Oops, I put up the wrong brown burst, it's a ready made, the one I had made has Hawaiian Islands sound hole.

BWA Brown Burst Hawaiian hole 800.jpg

Of the ukuleles I have only one is a production ukulele, and that one is carbon fiber. In seeking out a ukulele there are production ukuleles and various levels of non-production ukuleles. Non-production ukes can range from a Fred Shields type to a full on commissioned ukulele from whichever high end top notch luthier you covet.

There has been a lot of really good advice given. My motivation is born from a lifetime of a non-herd mentality. If everyone is going one way I’ll search out a more obscure alternative. I love finding one of the unknowns in the back corner of the store. Are my ukes better than a K? I don’t know, probably not, but I wouldn’t trade for one.

Try as many different ukes you can. Figure out what features you really like... cut-away, radius fretboard, side port, bevels, etc., you want. Find the motivation for a custom. And as Baz said, there are luthiers out there that are not that expensive. You “can” have your uke and kidneys “two”.

John

Are my ukes better than a K? I don’t know, probably not, but I wouldn’t trade for one.

John

A luthier built ukulele might not be better, but, as you say, it quite likely is different in some way. There are fantastic production ukuleles, so "better" is a very individual thing.

I chose my luthier built ukulele based on the sound that is unique to that builder, and it remains my favorite. We have all our own preferences on sound, but for me, this is the one that makes my ears happiest.

It's also beautifully built, and plays like a wonderful dream.

Do I *need* that ukulele vs. a production model? No, but it does make me the happiest, and my goal is to enjoy this hobby. :)

there is nothing magical about a custom instrument and commissioning one is a fairly substantial risk

Not if you choose a ukulele luthier of renown. Choosing one blind - I agree.

be prepared to wait. a. long. time. in my case, it was a whole year

That REALLY depends on the builder - some have a far shorter turnaround.

Top Bottom