Season 364 - In Someone Else's Shoes

kolibri

out of tune
UU VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to Season 364!

This Season's theme is "In Someone Else's Shoes". Let's see the world from somebody else's perspective!

Play us songs from the point of view of another human being, an inanimate object, an animal, a plant, or...
You may want to choose a different era, continent or galaxy, or something less exotic like what your neighbor or spouse thinks today (a very difficult topic! :)).

The challenge is to put yourself in someone else's position and perhaps to try to understand what that "someone" sees or tells.

Original songs, instrumentals and collaborations are very welcome.

It would be great to see some new Seasonistas joining in, as well as the familiar Seasonistas whom we haven't seen lately, bringing a song again.

Song limit: One song per day.

- Season starts Sunday, February 3rd at 00:01 Hawaii time, and ends Sunday, February 10th at 12 PM Hawaii time.
- Please mention in the video that it's for Season 364.
- Multi tracking and other instruments are fine, but ukulele should be the main instrument.

Prizes: Shoelaces with music notes and, erm, a guitar-lele. :)

I'll put my comments on your YouTube videos and don't duplicate them here. If you like the other Seasonistas' videos, please let them know by commenting.

And please remember that Jim's fine "Into the Void" Season has still a day to go.

Have fun! Can't wait to see whose shoes you'll be wearing.

Playlist

I just remembered one song that fits, but it is really inappropriate...
Lets hope I get a better idea.

Everything is fine right now.
When everybody seems to be scrambling around for crumbs of comfort.
Sometimes we should be happy that somebody somewhere is enjoying life.
and wouldn't it be so fine to step into their shoes for a moment and find
a similar solace.

Clever theme Ylle!
Two for one here.
I'm the murderer and the murdered.Nick and Kylie.I did the octave jump/drop for the male and female parts.Strangely I found Kylie's parts easier to sing:)
Images from Hieronymus Bosch's 'Garden of Earthly Delights"

Submission 1. “At The Wave Mouth” (Aig Beul nan Tonn) A folksong from the Hebrides. (Copyright 2001 by Hal Leonard Corporation).

Thank you very much for your hosting and fine theme, Ylle.

This is a very, very old song. Its words are spoken by someone who encounters what cannot be explained. The speaker’s world is far different that the one we know.

I could not find a recording of this song anywhere. I hope I’ve done the song justice.

The lyrics, which speak so mysteriously and beautifully of the speaker’s wonder, are provided below. The chords I’ve used are: Am, Em, Am, Em, F, G, Em, Am.

Tenor ukulele, soprano banjolele used here.

And who may the strange one be,
Who croons beside the wave mouth
Like sea wrack brown and beauteous,
Who may yon strange one be?

Nor merle she nor mavis she,
St. Bride’s bird she nor sea mew,
Nor seal from far away linns,
Nor kyle sea maiden she!

And who may the strange one be,
Who croons beside the wave mouth?
Like sea wrack brown and beauteous,
Who may yon strange one be?

Great theme, Ylle! Here’s one from the point of few of an orangutan who wants to be in someone else’s shoes himself.

When I have done this Kirsty MacColl song in the past, I have changed the lyrics to make it a "man" song. But for this week, here I am being a tired housewife.

Such a fascinating these this week, thought of how to approach it, then this classic amazing song came to mind, so I gave it a shot. This was my 2nd take. Many have recorded this one, probably the most famous versions are by Hank Williams, as Luke the Drifter, and Woodie Guthrie.

In this, Dolly Parton explains to a rival in love exactly what defeat would mean for her. Naturally I have taken my cues from the White Stripes Version instead.

Hello, Ylle ... great idea for the week! I have decided to see things from the point of view of a fish (well, lots of fish!) Actually, it has just occurred to me that fish don't wear shoes, but, as I am a Piscean, they are, sort of, appropriate.

Ylle, this is a fantastic theme. Open to so much interpretation.

Here's a song from Dark Side of the Moon, featuring zero special effects, told from the perspective of ... who knows? I'm pretty sure the final verse gives a nod to the late Syd Barrett, though ...

Sunday evening greetings from snowy Finland! Season 364 has started well and I have added the first submissions to the playlist. We have a good variety of songs and perspectives already, from the kids' songs to the murderers. Many thanks for those!

Thanks for hosting Yile! I've often wondered what it would be like to live the life of a cat. In this case, it's a stray cat :)

I started trying to write this song for the "Void" season, and then gave up and deleted it. Then a few days later I had second thoughts, so I recovered it from the recycle bin before I did my weekly cleaning, completely changed the music and the mood of the song and came up with this.

Below is a link to some background information on this song, and I made a transcript of what I said for Ylle's convenience. The transcript is at the bottom of this post because it was too long for youtube.

Right here on this spot we built a town
'Cause we heard the railroad would be coming 'round
We built a bank and a school and settled down
It was something
But that was a long time ago and now there's nothing

We built a church at the bottom of the hill
Every Sunday morning it would fill
With people singing hallelujah until
Noonday luncheon

And the farmers brought their corn and cotton
To the railroad that's now gone and forgotten
There's just a little rise there where the tracks went through
And the little church where we were wed
Was washed away down the river bed
When the flood took away the town, it took you too

I can drift down by that lazy stream
Where the steeple fell and I heard a scream
And I saw you clinging to a floating beam
Water rushing

Now a hay field grows where the church once stood
And I walk unseen through these dusky woods
Trying to tell you if I could
Once we were something
But we lived a long time ago and now we're nothing

If I could tell you, if you could see
I could show you what it all meant to me
We were proud of everything we made and what we did
But the rain kept falling that dark summer day
And the flood carried everything away...

Another shadow moves beneath the trees
Another voice floats across the evening breeze
I can't touch you and you can't see me
Now I'm nothing

https://youtu.be/43a2w52Rq24

Transcript:

This is just some background on the song "Now There's Nothing." That song was inspired, not based on, but inspired by the history of the small town that I live nearby, Sutherland Springs, Texas. A very old town. It was first founded...well it was two reasons. One because they knew the railroad was going to come through here, and there's a creek. And also because the creek had a very large hot sulfur springs, which a man named John Sutherland turned into a very famous resort spa. He built a huge hotel...here's a couple of pictures of the hotel...that's a pretty good picture there...and then here's another picture, not quite so good, but you can see it's got all those trees with Spanish moss hanging from them and everything. And here's a picture of the pool, full of people having a lot of fun long, long ago. They had a pool, they also had the hot springs, where people would come from all over the country to soak in those hot springs, because, you know, it was believed, and many still believe, that it helps to cure various ailments or at least make you feel better. I know it makes you feel better. I went into a hot springs once, it was in Colorado, not here, and it's a very pleasant experience.

You can see on this photo here, it's kind of hard to see all those small photos around the edge, but in the middle you can see a big blurb for Sutherland Springs. You could catch a train from San Antonio or Victoria, I think, and come here. The train would drop you off pretty close to the hotel, probably.

Here's a picture of the old depot, Sunset Depot. None of these buildings are here anymore. They're all gone. There are a few buildings left. There is, well I couldn't find a good picture of it. There's only two buildings left of Old Sutherland Springs. One is...it probably was a general store or something like that, and for some reason it's still standing. It's on private property now, even though you can drive right up to it and look at it, it's not fenced or anything. Somebody probably uses it to store their tractor or something, I don't know.

The other building was the bank. I mean, it is the bank, or it was the bank but it's still standing. Here's a picture of it with a bunch of the local bigwigs standing outside. And then, here's what it looks like now. It's an interesting spot. I've been in it, even though it's on private property. It's also not fenced. It's not protected in any way and the road drives right by it. I went in there because there's supposed to be a geocache in there, and back when I was geocaching I went in there looking for it. Couldn't find it. But I poked around inside. Of course, there's trees growing up inside and everything now too, and the vault is still in there, the door is standing open, and that's pretty creepy. I poked around in the vault with my flashlight and there was some little animal that scurried off into the corner and I think there was a bat hanging from the ceiling or something like that.

Now, what happened to the old town...the springs had already...oh, before I go into that I should say that Sutherland Springs was the original county seat of Wilson County. But during the Civil War, the city of Floresville became much larger and more the center of commerce of the county, so after the Civil War the county seat was moved there, and it's still there.

Now, what happened is that before the Civil War, there was not a lot of farmers around here, it was mainly a tourist destination, and the only "farm" anywhere around was a cotton plantation owned by James? I think his first name was, his last name was Polley. And he built this big mansion, which most people around here now refer to as "the Polley Mansion," although he called it Whitehall. And here's an old picture from back in the black & white days, I don't know, probably back in the 50s or 40s, maybe. Here's a picture of it now, this is a very current picture. It went through...oh I'm skipping ahead again.

So what happened is after the Civil War, when slavery was no longer legal, and the plantation didn't have a lot of cheap labor to grow cotton, all the lands were sold off, except for just where the house is, to a lot of farmers, and there was a huge influx of farmers all over the area, not just on the old plantation, but everywhere around here, and all the new farmers used a lot of water to grow their crops, and it caused the water table to start falling and the springs started drying up. And then in the late 1800s there was a really terrible flood which wiped out everything except for those two buildings that I mentioned, the bank and the other building. And the flood also choked off the hot springs...they were gone. They're no longer there. So what little was left was condemned and torn down, so where the old hotel used to be, that's all gone. It's not there anymore. And also it's on private property and you can't just go poking around on it.

So that's what happened to the old town. The people who were left just kind of moved up the hill and rebuilt the town, so most of the stuff here now is up on the hill above the creek where it's safely out of the flood plain. Some people do still live down in the flood plain, and when we had that bad flood in 1998, which was much, much worse than the old 1900-or-so flood, there was some houses destroyed, some houses flooded and refurbished so they could be lived in again.

So, this song was just sort of a flight of fancy, not based on anything real but just sort of a story of a ghost...who just wanders the creek banks and the woods...forever, I guess. So that's what it was all about. I guess that's all I have to say about it. Thank you.

I wouldn’t describe myself as a huge Elvis fan, but like most people I have a handful of favourite Elvis songs and this lesser known track is certainly one of them. The verses are from the point of view of a recently bereaved or deserted guy, and the choruses from the point of view of one of his children. It’s a sad song, as you might have guessed from the title and description.

Oops! Got ahead of myself. Recorded a vid and posted prematurely. It'll go up tomorrow.

Top Bottom