Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 364 - In Someone Else's Shoes

Today, Ylle, I’m going to be Catherine Earnshaw - better known as the character Cathy from Emily Bronte’s novel Wuthering Heights. This song was written by the utterly wonderful Kate Bush when she was just 18 years old and released as her debut single in 1978, when it went to number one in the UK charts and stayed there for four weeks - what an incredible achievement and what an incredible song!

Must admit to being rather daunted by this one so I practised it more than most of my offerings and you’ll be very pleased to know I took the vocal down a few octaves from Kate’s!

Thursday evening greetings from Finland! Snow is turning into slush, as it's warmer today. But listening to the Seasons' songs feels as nice as ever. We've got some fine originals and there is plenty room for new songs from the point of view of ukulele or some forgotten instrument. And then we have a Kate Bush songs sub theme - with great submissions from Lynda ("Breathing"), Alan ("This Woman's Work") and Del ("Wuthering Heights").

The playlist should be up to date again.

Ok, this is silly and short.
    But I ran out of ideas for lyrics.

From an ukuleles point of view - how does it feel not to be taken serious as an instrument?

The title is inspired by post that Jon started in the Uke Talk forum. I hope that it is OK to steal some words like that...
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Ahoy
    I want to play a song that is told from the perspective of a sailor.
    Most Icelanders know the event that inspired this song.
    On December 26th 1986 a tanker called 'Syneta' was sailing from Liverpool, England, to Iceland. Syneta was to transport Capelin fish oil from Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland, to Holland. Because of worsening weather and malfunctions the ship changed course and sailed along the east coast of Iceland rather than the south coast. During the night of the 26th Syneta hit a reef and began to sink.
    The sailors, not knowing fully where they were situated because of busted steering and terrible weather, radioed in the wrong position; this delayed rescue as searchers had been heading in the wrong direction for 30 minutes before the error was corrected. There were 12 sailors on Syneta, six British and 6 from Cape Verde - they all perished. When Syneta was found a total of 7 bodies were reclaimed from the sea, one the ocean swept from a rescue boat on the way back to shore. One sailor was alive when rescued from the sea but he succumb to hypothermia before reaching land.

written for season 364

The story of a born loser, from one of my favorite albums.

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

Default I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts ( in a minor key)

Every throw you make, makes me rich (Showman's point of view)
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

In other shoes: If I was....

I have done this one before, sung from the point of view of a mugging victim, but always with the words & chords in front of me. I surprised myself last night by getting all the way through it without them, especially the tumble of words which appears at the end. Feeling brave, I thought I would see if it was just a fluke.

www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

A cover of a Dave Clark 5 song, Anyway You Want It. Lyrics suggest he can read this girl's mind "you don't want money, you don't want a diamond ring...". OK then!

Pardon my clams, still recovering from carpal hand surgery 2 weeks ago today on my strumming hand, but no restrictions on normal activities (within reason), and strumming feels good, much better than trying to use a computer mouse! Played on my brand new concert Flea, Nyltech strings changed to Martin M600.

Last edited by Ukecaster; 02-08-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    John

Thread Information