Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Season 364 - In Someone Else's Shoes

Three Ravens look down from a tree on events unfolding below them. This version of the song was published in 1611 by Thomas Ravenscroft though there's good reason to believe it's much older.
    In the last verse, a 'leman' is a word from Middle English meaning a lover or a mistress. By implication, they're not married to each other.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Jimmy Cliff and Joe Strummer put this one together back in 2001. This song helps me imagine being in the shoes of people looking for a better life over some border somewhere. And it reminds me that migration is beautiful.

-Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

Hello everyone.

Thanks for hosting Ylle! Your request moved me to participate, since you are always so kind in Your comments on my songs.

I had started on a new original for this week, got stuck, then thought I would just not be able to make it in this week. But then I remembered I had written a song from another perspective a few years ago, and thought I would bring it back with a new recording and a fuller arrangement.

I am glad I can still join in once in a while! Lots going on in life, much of it good.

My first remake, “I am a Troll”

Thanks!

homemade song, "seagull"

lynda

metal guru is it you?

Some words of wisdom from Pinocchio's dad: Old Man's Song (1975) by Juhan Viiding and Olav Ehala from a kids' musical about Pinocchio, in Estonian.

Default 364-1

What I find interesting about this song and why I chose it, is that it is about seeing others through their prospective of being poor and their misery.

Not a lot of time this week; still recovering from my long, unplanned vacation and getting ready to go spend some time in the desert. So here is a short one wherein I inhabit a bit of crockery.

Thanks for hosting Ylle. And happy 8th (!!) anniversary Seasonistas.
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

Inspired by Geoff's wonderful "Three Ravens", I took this song from (at least) 1520:
    Who never was "promenading on suitors feet" as this old-fashioned and still used phrase describes?
    And sometimes all feelings vanish in a second.
    (subtitled)

Last edited by elmann; 02-09-2019 at 09:35 AM.

I am not sure if this will be allowed, since the main instrument is not a Ukulele, but a Mandola. If that disqualifies it, then so be it. But it definitely an example of the theme in action. The story is told from the POV of a Soviet Bomber pilot in the Spanish Civil War.

It is not often that I get commissioned to write a song, but this is exactly what this song is. It tells the story of a particular bomber crew on a fateful day in February over the skies of Teruel (Spain) during the Spanish Civil War. I am to sing this song at the re-dedication of a memorial to these airmen which was destroyed in 1938 by the Fascists when they took over control of the area. It is incredible that it has taken 40 years of so-called democracy in Spain to get around to this re-dedication.

WARNING - this is the longest song I have ever submitted to the Seasons. But the story deserves it.

Last edited by Barbablanca; 02-09-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

Thread Information