Season 364 - In Someone Else's Shoes

Here we are from Longleat. Impressed that the free WiFi at Centre Parcs has held up to uploading. Here's a song offering differing perspectives of a break up. Wanted to get a frozen pond in the background d but couldn't find solid enough ground to set up.

Good evening! The snow is falling (again!) in southern Finland and I'm having good time listening to the submissions and updating the playlist. We have 38 songs from 22 Seasonistas on the playlist right now - serious songs and fun songs, homemade songs and classics. Thank you all so much!

This is my latest contribution. I was trying to think of another angle for the "Put Yourself in other's shoes" theme, but most of the ideas I came up with seemed cliched. Then this morning I had an idea "twixt sleep and awake" and the song almost wrote itself. The question to ask is:Who is the narrator? Stick around for the last line of the third verse to find out. Then stick around till the credits for an alternative last line which means the whole song can be interpreted as being from that view point too.

Hope you like:

On original for this Season. I added a little picking, a little piano, and a little whistling.

Wherein I become an itinerant troubadour. Who's with me? I tell ya, I ain't far from it.

Since I have never frequented bars, or had a drinking problem, or marital problems or anything like that, about 90% of country songs are in someone else's shoes for me. This is one I've been wanting to do for a while. It's a favorite of a friend of mine, and she sings it at the nursing home fairly often.

This was recorded by Lee Harmon, whose real name was Harmon Boazman (or Boazeman?, I think it varies by whatever they put on the label, because sometimes he used his real name). He is one of the greater lesser-known country singers. I got a real lesson in singing by doing this song. He and I have about the same vocal range, so I was able to do it in his key!

[TCK rule}As I say in the video, my only train ride happened after I mouthed off to a bunch (like ten) of these American Front (Neo-Nazi Skinheads) guys on Haight Street in SF. They had called my friend a ******...and I may have thrown a napkin holder at one of them in the McDonalds. In any event...I told my friends to run because I did not think these thugs would kill me, but my friends would have been in greater danger. When I regained consciousness in Golden Gate Park, I got on a train that I knew went right past a hospital that was near my home. Called my parents, told them where I was, and was attended to. Funny, I think my friends were pretty ashamed of running...and it took 25 years for me to be given the chance to say it was worth it and I did not blame them.
While I wanted to die in that train car (I think many of the other passengers thought I might), I do not share the same perspective as our protagonist here. I have always loved trains, train songs...train lore, and I have ridden one exactly once. I think if I was given the opportunity and didn't hate being cold so much, I might live a life similar to Bill's. The whole thing has so much allure for me. Ah- to be crazy and 16 again. [/TCK rule]

This Tom T. Hall song is a real melancholy favorite of mine. Traveling musicians can really relate to this song, and I know I can, cause when you move away from home, and are on the road, you really lose touch with what's going on in the lives of your family back home, and they have no idea what you're really doing. You feel weird, and guilty, when you go back for a short visit.

Season 364. Submission 2. "I Wanna Be Free" (Written by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart for the Monkees first album (1966) and released by the Monkees as a single in 1967.)

When I was young, i adored this song. The fact that Davy Jones was the vocalist was largely responsible. ;) Yet also, that was a time when the idea of being "free to be you and me" was championed by the young. The idea of loving being free and loving the companionship of another walked hand in hand in the rosy glow of those sunsets. All those years ago. The voice in this song? It carries through time and I hear it as the voice of someone who very, very easily walked barefoot or wore moccasins instead of shoes. The voice of someone who so easily loved and kept walking. The voice of someone else. I hope that you find it will fit your theme.

Thank you again, Ylle, for this lovely week of music.

Never judge a man (WeeOriginal)
A song based on a Billy Connolly joke, and done in a Russian style.

Last edited:
Another nightmare in the video department. Crashing, not synchronising, not recording.
Swapped it all to a different PC and seemingly sort of cured.

The POV ,or "Someone Else's Shoes ",or paws in this case is a wise old bear
(he thinks that he's wise anyway) dispensing advice to a youngster. Well,a man cub !!

From the point of view of a poor white southerner in the last year of the American Civil War:

I am a fan of many artists but my adoration for Jim Croce goes well beyond that to past the point of normality. He is a fantastic songwriter, performer, and story teller. I love the dude. This is one of his stories about lovers that drifted apart.

The perils of playing a pretty basic song by musicians who kick it up with their jaw-dropping chops. Stick to the basics and hope it comes out OK. This is by the great James Nash of the Waybacks.

I loved this song by The Cars when I was 14, and I love it just as much now at 54. I did it awhile back, but happy to do it again, took me awhile to figure out how to approach it the first time I learned it, but now that I have, it super fun to play and sing.

Top Bottom