NUD My first Baritone

CliveyG

Reaction score
Hi all,

Here is my first Baritone Ukulele that I received this week.
It’s made by Paul Barnard of Wildcat Ukuleles here in the UK.

American Walnut back and sides, Engelmann Spruce top with multi wood rosette and maple bindings.
Indian Rosewood bridge and 16 radius fingerboard. Bone nut at 37mm and bone saddle.
The neck is nice straight grain quarter sawn Sapele with a medium profile, very comfortable to play.
Scale length of 20.08.
Tuned DGBE linear and strung with D’Addario Pro-Arte Carbon strings.
Leader sealed geared machine heads.

To me this sounds and plays amazing. Very responsive even to a light touch. I’m very impressed and it has surpassed my expectations.

The only thing I have to work on is getting used to the wound D string.
I have 2 tenors currently low g with fluorocarbon strings, but this is my first try of wound. I feel I will have to change what technique I have (not much) in order to keep the string noise to a minimum while moving around.

I posted for the first time on you tube today with a sample of this Baritone and I have tried to link it here in the post with a few pictures.

I’m not holding my breath as to whether the uploads are successful, as I tried before and the resolution and size of the pictures ended up being posted in miniature. Not a tech wiz unfortunately.

172679A3-0B39-485A-A2C6-6C345C5FE53A.jpg9A73B8BD-8B57-466F-9B8F-BA72EB63F15D.jpgB1B3F4F6-F8A2-44C0-93F1-61F2A32B8065.jpgD187B6F3-06EA-4940-9411-8972A6716E41.jpg434D093F-B0BB-4629-9184-0671C065BCF2.jpg

It's beautiful, congrats!

It looks wonderful and sounds great. I love the smooth rich sound of a baritone. Congratulations on a wonderful instrument

It’s sound beautiful like a guitar.
Most baritones I played have a muddy sound to it but this one is nice and clean!
Your YouTube is great especially if this is your first one.
Look forward to seeing more video of you in the link and video page
Congratulations.

Yes I agree that some baritones can sound muddy to me also. The tone and note clarity on on this one is great. I love how smooth it sounds without getting muddy.
Thank you, I do plan on joining you guys on the link and video page.

Also, I have to give a big shout to baz maz. It was his review of a very similar spec model that convinced me to contact Paul and have him make this one for me.

Amazing instrument, congratulations!

We're on the same page. Baz's review of this one puts it up there with the top few instruments I'm most interested in buying someday in the future. The video you posted definitely lives up to what he shared in his review. I'm really impressed by the clear, balanced tone... it also looks like it's built beautifully.

Amazing instrument, congratulations!

We're on the same page. Baz's review of this one puts it up there with the top few instruments I'm most interested in buying someday in the future. The video you posted definitely lives up to what he shared in his review. I'm really impressed by the clear, balanced tone... it also looks like it's built beautifully.

Thank you, I have gone over the instrument and it really is a built beautifully. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a top quality baritone.

Congratulations!

From what I’ve seen and heard baritones from Wildcat Ukuleles are superb instruments.
Nice playing, too.

Hi all,

Here is my first Baritone Ukulele that I received this week.
It’s made by Paul Barnard of Wildcat Ukuleles here in the UK.

American Walnut back and sides, Engelmann Spruce top with multi wood rosette and maple bindings.
Indian Rosewood bridge and 16 radius fingerboard. Bone nut at 37mm and bone saddle.
The neck is nice straight grain quarter sawn Sapele with a medium profile, very comfortable to play.
Scale length of 20.08.
Tuned DGBE linear and strung with D’Addario Pro-Arte Carbon strings.
Leader sealed geared machine heads.

To me this sounds and plays amazing. Very responsive even to a light touch. I’m very impressed and it has surpassed my expectations.

The only thing I have to work on is getting used to the wound D string.
I have 2 tenors currently low g with fluorocarbon strings, but this is my first try of wound. I feel I will have to change what technique I have (not much) in order to keep the string noise to a minimum while moving around.

I posted for the first time on you tube today with a sample of this Baritone and I have tried to link it here in the post with a few pictures.

I’m not holding my breath as to whether the uploads are successful, as I tried before and the resolution and size of the pictures ended up being posted in miniature. Not a tech wiz unfortunately.

View attachment 115339View attachment 115340View attachment 115341View attachment 115342View attachment 115343

Lucky you! I have not acquired a bari yet, but yours sounds beautiful enough to make me consider it!

Lucky you! I have not acquired a bari yet, but yours sounds beautiful enough to make me consider it!

Thank you. I had been considering a baritone for a while but nothing grabbed me at this price point. Also, I was unsure of how hard the transition would be to a larger scale and different tuning.

I have found that I can switch between this and my 2 tenors with no problems at all in terms of playability. I did measure the string spacing yesturday though and it is 31mm at the nut, which is wider than the one Baz reviewed. My 2 tenors are around 27-28mm. I didn’t really think about this until I measured it though.

It was a no brainer for me really with Paul not being to far away and I’m I’m really pleased that I went for this one.

Top Bottom