UAS sustaining theory.....how to keep it going

This thread is a revelation to me, I am a very indecisive purchaser because I need to get absolutely the right ukulele at the absolutely right price. I have spent hours. Browsing and checking reviews without buying.

My wife tends to make me lock away anything messy or space occupying, which is one of the reasons I play ukulele and not guitar. I am also quite competitive so I only want one good instrument and maybe a travel instrument so I am optimising my practice and not getting confused by switching. I have already made a mess of my playing spending the last few months switching between C6 and D6 tuning trying to get the absolutely perfect sound. For the record, I now know there is no perfect tuning!

Maybe I just got lucky?

7 years ago after trying out dozens of other ukes at retails shops and uke jams (where I had a Lanikai LU21-C loaned to me by friend that I played at the jams) and it was not until I played a concert Flea from The Magic Fluke Company that I was satisfied with an ukulele for all the features I was looking for...so I bought one and never looked back.

Since getting my Flea, I've also tried many other ukes, but none have even tempted me at all.

I am very happy with my Flea, and UAS is not something I've ever felt really.

It seems like UAS is something that afflicts everyone else, but my wallet and I are very happy to not have to worry about it.

This thread is a revelation to me, I am a very indecisive purchaser because I need to get absolutely the right ukulele at the absolutely right price. I have spent hours. Browsing and checking reviews without buying.

My wife tends to make me lock away anything messy or space occupying, which is one of the reasons I play ukulele and not guitar. I am also quite competitive so I only want one good instrument and maybe a travel instrument so I am optimising my practice and not getting confused by switching. I have already made a mess of my playing spending the last few months switching between C6 and D6 tuning trying to get the absolutely perfect sound. For the record, I now know there is no perfect tuning!
I don't have to lock mine up. But as far as the house, we do not want to live amongst the ukes. I mean, just not my wife, me neither. So none of mine are on display or used as part of our interior décor and there is only so much space dedicated to the ukulele. Anything, not just ukes, gets put away when we are done with it. I really don't know where I would put another one. It would have to go into storage I guess.

Last edited:
Maybe I just got lucky?

7 years ago after trying out dozens of other ukes at retails shops and uke jams (where I had a Lanikai LU21-C loaned to me by friend that I played at the jams) and it was not until I played a concert Flea from The Magic Fluke Company that I was satisfied with an ukulele for all the features I was looking for...so I bought one and never looked back.

Since getting my Flea, I've also tried many other ukes, but none have even tempted me at all.

I am very happy with my Flea, and UAS is not something I've ever felt really.

It seems like UAS is something that afflicts everyone else, but my wallet and I are very happy to not have to worry about it.

I agree with you Joe. With me, it's more of one instrument at a time but not sure what I want until I try something. While I've only been drinking the uke flavored Kool-Aid for a little over two years now, I previously dealt with a bout of MIAS (multiple instrument acquisition syndrome)... that started in 2011 as an attempt to get back into music after years of inactivity. During that time, bought and sold four basses both new and used, and one classical guitar. Still have the last bass that I bought, but don't play it.

During this MIAS, we started trailer camping and I realized that a travel bass wasn't amenable to plinking or occasionally playing songs for captive audiences, so I started researching ukes. Waaay so much info on the internet and specifically on this forum! Anyhow, I'm at a good spot now. I have the two ukes that meet my needs for quiet practice and ruggedized for camping.

Thanks MFC and Outdoor!

I can identify with UAS, but I can't compete with it. I only own 2 ukes. My first is a low-end Ohana CK-10 that I bought from Mim. I love that little uke and it still sits beside my desk at work. My second is an Ohana TK-50G, and I agonized over this purchase. Not because I didn't know if I wanted this uke but because I questioned whether or not it was selfish of me to spend money on another uke when there's five of us in our family and we're trying to teach our kids to be responsible with their money. While it was less than 1/2 of a low-end K-brand, it's still an investment of money that could go toward something else. Sure, we have the money, but we're pretty frugal and aren't self-indulgent by any means. I could only every see myself purchasing one more tenor so that I could have a re-entrant tenor and a low-G tenor. After that, if I ever wanted to purchase a different one, I'd have to sell one of the ones that I have first. To my mind, there's no use in having one sitting around that not's going to be used. But it's the same way with my guitar, I have a 20-year old Larrivee D-03. I've been tempted numerous times to pull the trigger on a different guitar, but I haven't found a good reason to do so yet. The only reason right now that I'll ever buy another one is because of a change in tastes. After playing uke for a couple of years, my dreadnought feels HUGE. I'd opt for a smaller-bodied guitar if I could. And if I ever do, I'll probably sell the Larrivee on Reverb or ebay.

Top Bottom