V-bracing

ktuurna

Reaction score
Has anybody made ukulele using V-bracing (like Taylor guitars)? I think it is intresting, and it maybe works with ukulele. I don't know, so I think I will do that with some modifications. What do you think?

Is this effectively akin to the reverse fan bracing used by pepe romero??

Some forum luthiers have commented in the past have mentioned experimenting, but I cannot remember the specifics.

The OP is refering to the new bracing pattern Taylor just introduced in their steel string acoustic guitars. Different kettle of fish.

Has anybody made ukulele using V-bracing (like Taylor guitars)?

Yes, I am experimenting with V bracing. By the way, "V-bracing" is a trademarked term by Taylor Guitars and cannot be used without permission. I use the term "vertical bracing". I have modified the bracing scheme somewhat for the ukulele and differs than that used in guitars because ukuleles are not just little guitars. Results are preliminary, but promising. My primary concerns are structural and how the system holds up over time and only time will tell on that...

Joe Souza seems to have changed his bracing on newer models to a V. Makes sense since he’s fairly close to Bob Taylor. If I’m not mistaken, I thought I saw Pete make one already.

Yes, Pete has been experimenting recently with V bracing.

Don’t know how to link directly but Pete demos the second of a pair of baritones on this date, about 5 pages back: 12-13-2018, 05:05 PM

I have two that are getting close to finishing stage. I am a sucker for trying new things. I will let you know how they turn out. I did add just touch of thickness to the top but not much. I think the stability of doing it this way has a lot to do with the stability of the top wood you choose. I would probably not do this with spruce for the top thickness I use. I have been using some Hawaiian grown Monterey Cypres ... I love the sound and it is very stable... we shall see.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but here are two more bracing ideas: The random and the primitive with the taco block.

bracing5.jpg bracing1.jpg

The tenor and boat paddle tenors in this video have a V bracing. I call it Inverse Fan Bracing or IFB. It's given clarity to the boat paddle past the second harmonic and a huge amount of power to the tenor. I know strings and configuration are different but to my ears the IFB overall 'improves' the instrument.

Top Bottom