Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long distance collaboration

I totally agree that a click track is useful, but in my experience of studio recording some people find that conforming to a click track is off putting - especially the first time. Give it a go, you will probably be fine, but if you find it difficult then you can try playing along with the first person's full track. You'd be following their timing - but not impossible, and some find it less daunting.
    Don't forget to get the first person to include an audible count in - especially if you're coming in on the first beat with them.

Have you thought about the idea of each learning your part and then using Skype to practice them together? Would give it more of a real duet feeling though you would still have to record it later. I know from trying to learn a duet with my teacher that practicing with a metronome or a recording of his part didn't work for me. I needed him playing live in order for it to work. Of course, I admit I'm not very good at playing with others where we have set parts so it might just be me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I attempted to try Audacity in the past, and never figured it out at all.
    My experience with any specialty app is you can't just "figure it out," I always pull out the help files, find tutorials and guides to get started, even an app like Garage Band. Audacity could work, but you have to learn the intricacies of it.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Quote Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
    Have you thought about the idea of each learning your part and then using Skype to practice them together? Would give it more of a real duet feeling though you would still have to record it later. I know from trying to learn a duet with my teacher that practicing with a metronome or a recording of his part didn't work for me. I needed him playing live in order for it to work. Of course, I admit I'm not very good at playing with others where we have set parts so it might just be me.

John
    Good suggestion. I'm very low tech & have never used Skype. My friend is very low tech, too. But, maybe this will encourage us to give it a try.
    IA that it could be a different experience to play live with one another vs. a recording. I've never played live with anyone, but have played along to some recordings, though not in a situation like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    My experience with any specialty app is you can't just "figure it out," I always pull out the help files, find tutorials and guides to get started, even an app like Garage Band. Audacity could work, but you have to learn the intricacies of it.
    I did try reading about it, watched some YT videos, and read on a forum about it, but could have tried harder, I admit.
    At that time, I decided that I didn't need it enough to fight with it any more than I did, and gave up. Maybe I'll give it a try again, though. With the free time that I have, I'd rather play ukulele than fight with technology, but maybe I can find time for both.

Sure you don’t want to try video? Even using FaceTime on your phone, if you have an iPhone, might work. You can practice along with anyone’s videos on YouTube and see if it’s something you like to do. I participate in the Seasons of the Ukulele here on UU regularly. We lost one of our members due to his health and sometimes I will make a recording of me playing along with one of his old videos. So even though he’s gone he’s still here (;

Timing is extremely important! One of my first collaboration experiences was a disaster because of the timing.

Quote Originally Posted by bonesigh View Post
    Sure you don’t want to try video? Even using FaceTime on your phone, if you have an iPhone, might work.
    I don't have a smart phone.

I'm already thinking of giving up on this idea. Sounds like being high tech is necessary, and I don't have the necessary items, or experience using the technology.
    I thought it would be doable with my laptop, but I guess not. Too bad. I was excited about the possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I thought it would be doable with my laptop, but I guess not. Too bad. I was excited about the possibility.
    it absolutely is.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

Don’t give up. You can find a way! I used to use my reg video camera to film, upload to PC then to YT. I’m extremely illiterate with computer tech!!

Joyful Uke, You don't have to learn the stuff if you have a third party put it together. If you can keep time to a click track.

For example 1: Here is a metronome on YouTube that happens to be 4/4 at 60beats per minute. You can mute the sound and watch the arm go back and forth. Use this to play your rhythm on your uke and record it. Send the same YouTube link to your friend and have them play the melody and record it. Both of you send your best work to someone willing to put it together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgc7pA43DgI

Example 2: Use the YouTube link and record your part (make sure the click is muted and only your uke is heard). Send the link to your friend and send your recorded uke playing file to them. They will play both the click track on their monitor (without sound) and play your uke recording (and through trial and error synchronize the two) through a headphone. They can now record their uke playing while listening to yours. Both of you send your best work to someone willing to put it together.

If you try this, record at least 3 tries in a row. That way whoever puts it together can have a best choice in performance.
    Last edited by cyber3d; 02-06-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. Low-G. I named it "Lumière"
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol. High-G I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele wound Low-G
    Cynthia Lin Performance uke. Concert scale with a cutaway Low-G
    Kala Soprano KA-KCT-S Ziricote fitted with Ernie Ball clear High-G
    Just ordered a tenor sized custom electric uke from Brian Fanner . . . wonder how long ETA. . .

Thread Information