Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Higher Tension, Wound C, what should I do?

Hi, Michele!

Quote Originally Posted by hollymichele View Post
    On both of my ukes (both concerts), the C string bothers me. I feel like it is too loose and sounds "thuddy" and does not work well for finger style.
    I have seen same case with a friend of mine. His is a guitarist. Guitar is a transposing instrument, for which the pitch of the sounded note is different from the pitch of the notated note. Actually guitar is one octave lower than other instruments (including ukulele). He had tuned ukulele like guitar and one octave lower.

Tuner works in one octave low or high too. Check your tuning.
    Last edited by zztush; Tomorrow at 12:50 PM.

Because the C string is tuned the lowest it usually feels the lowest in tension. As a general rule if you increase diameter of the same material you increase tension. So assuming your concert gauge C string has the average diameter of .029" and most do you can go fatter or change materials.

Try a set of Martin M600, the C string diameter is .034". If that doesn't work try a wound string, either the Thomastik. CF27 Jim recommended or Daddario NYL028W. This is a silver wound classic guitar string, I have used them in different diameters for various instruments, soprano to baritone. Both can by had at Strings by Mail, so can the Martin M600 set.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 02-05-2019 at 01:08 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Because the C string is tuned the lowest it usually feels the lowest in tension. As a general rule if you increase diameter of the same material you increase tension. So assuming your concert gauge C string has the average diameter of .029" and most do you can go fatter or change materials.

Try a set of Martin M600, the C string diameter is .034". If that doesn't work try a wound string, either the Thomastik. CF27 Jim recommended or Daddario NYL028W. This is a silver wound classic guitar string, I have used them in different diameters for various instruments, soprano to baritone. Both can by had at Strings by Mail, so can the Martin M600 set.
    Awesome, thanks! I'll try your suggestions.

Thread Information