Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Do You Use a Tablet, Rather than Books?

I read paper books more often. Friends, I am now studying in college and writing an essay that I need to submit at the end of this year on how applications or educational sites affect the quality and interest of school or university education. In this context, I highly recommend the Australian service https://au.edubirdie.com/write-my-essay-australia, which helps me with ideas on the topic, selects the most high-quality and relevant literature on the topic.
    Last edited by Sanicelo; 01-22-2020 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanicelo View Post
    I read paper books more often
    Welcome to our forum!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I use two apps on an Android tablet,
    OpenSongApp which is free and designed by, I think, a chap in Scotland for Church/Worship use, but it works for heathens too. He runs a website and is very responsive to queries and with updates.
    GuitarTapp Pro has a modest cost, (non Pro version is free), I think from Australia, infrequent updates and I've never received a reply to any queries.

Both have their pluses and minuses, I prefer OpenSong, but use GuitarTapp when I need backing tracks, because it links easier and adjusts the text scrolling to mp3s.

Either way, I think any app will only work as good as the work you put into setting it up for your usage. I see a lot of negative reviews on Google Play for example from people who seem to expect instant perfection wthout reading the manual or putting in the work.

I do not download chordsheets directly to the apps, I create .txt files and place these in the appropriate directory.
    There are a number of reasons for this;
    1. The internet is not always correct.
    2. Different fonts from the source to the app can result in chord symbols being wrongly positioned. I always use a font with equal spacing for each letter.
    3. I adjust each line of lyrics so that they will contain the same number of bars so that all song sections scroll at the same rate.
    4. Probably others I can't recall.

Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by VintageGibson View Post
    I use two apps on an Android tablet,
    1. The internet is not always correct.
    Yes! When it comes to chord charts, my experience is that the internet is rarely correct. And even more rarely correct and complete.

I use a large iPad Pro with the unrealbook app, and make all my charts by hand (and ear). I use PDFs, and can almost always fit a song on one page, so I don't need to scroll. (American Pie is a notable exception!) Using PDFs, I loose the ability to instantly transpose, which I know is important to some, but it's not often an issue. I mostly play with acoustic guitarists, who generally have no hang-ups about using capos. Sometimes I'll write a song up in two keys, and that plus a capo covers most vocal ranges.

I have more than 3000 song charts on my iPad--I can't imagine how many paper binders that would fill up!

- FiL

- FiL

Thread Information