Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 84

Thread: Do You Use a Tablet, Rather than Books?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    54

    Default

    I have an Lenovo tablet 10 inch with Mobile Sheets Pro which I like. I have one question. I am not techie. I have several song books on PDF and when I add them to Mobile Sheets Pro they go in as one file. How do you split them all out so they get arranged in alphabetical order as single songs rather than 50 in one Book in one file? There must be an easy way rather than printing out each song, scanning to my computor and saving. Then moving to my tablet .I very much appreciate not lugging around 50 pounds of books.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Pono AS Soprano, Kaloha Long Neck Soprano
    Pono RC (C) PC Concert, Kala KA-ACP-CTG Concert (Low G), Sawchyn Concert, Kala Elite IMHG-C
    Kala K-BE Baritone. Recording King Resonator,
    Godin Multiuke Tenor,
    Goodtime Concert Ukulele Banjo
    Outdoor Carbon Tenor
    Kona Walking Bass

    Life is good, but better with a uke.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colemole View Post
    How do you split them all out so they get arranged in alphabetical order as single songs rather than 50 in one Book in one file?
    You can use a PDF editor to split PDF files or merge them. Search on "split PDF file free windows" (or Mac or whatever) and you should get several options.

    I use PDFSam Basic (free from http://pdfsam.com for Windows/Mac/Linux) to merge multiple song PDFs into a single setlist. It worked well and simply enough for my needs that I didn't look any farther.

    Splitting your PDF may be more complicated than merging if the individual songs aren't separated in a way the tool can detect (one song per page, bookmarked, etc.) You may need to do some manual extraction, extract and then re-merge, or such.

    Commercial PDF editors can do a more and will be a lot more visual if that's more your comfort zone.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,464

    Default

    I'm old. I like books. I like to write in ‘em and dog ear the pages and even rip some pages out. I’m not a fan of all this internet stuff.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

    Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum

    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, near the Beverly Center.
    Posts
    4,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    You can use a PDF editor to split PDF files or merge them. Search on "split PDF file free windows" (or Mac or whatever) and you should get several options.
    Macs come with the Preview app which can separate each PDF page simply. Open the PDF file in Preview and be sure the left column thumbnails are showing. Drag and drop the thumbnail pages you want to split to your desktop or to a Finder. It will then copy the selected PDF pages to its own PDF documents, but with the main title of the PDF, so after you drag the thumbnail, highlight and copy the title of the song, then click the new PDF in the Finder and paste the song title.


    This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

    • Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    Last edited by kohanmike; 12-08-2019 at 11:23 AM.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Wiltshire, UK
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colemole View Post
    I have an Lenovo tablet 10 inch with Mobile Sheets Pro which I like. I have one question. I am not techie. I have several song books on PDF and when I add them to Mobile Sheets Pro they go in as one file. How do you split them all out so they get arranged in alphabetical order as single songs rather than 50 in one Book in one file? There must be an easy way rather than printing out each song, scanning to my computor and saving. Then moving to my tablet .I very much appreciate not lugging around 50 pounds of books.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Instead of printing to an actual printer, I print each page (or set of pages for each song) to PDF, giving the file a suitable name (the name of the song). After creating all those PDFs I then bulk import them into MobileSheets Pro.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,235

    Default

    Thanks to this thread, I just downloaded forScore for iPad. It sounds like a good solution that will get me playing more. Now, the problem is that I don't have much sheet music...does anyone have recommendations for where to get a nice library of uke tabs in PDF?

    I might also have to scan and digitize this Jake tab book that I have as well...

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Forscore is fantastic. I scan my books and assign CD tracks to the pages also you can Set the page scroll to match the tempo.
    I have a 12” iPad pro, it’s perfect for the task
    Ohana TK-35G, Kanilea K1 DLX tenor, Kanilea K1 SF concert, Imua ICN, Famous FS-5, Luna (Kiwaya L400), Islander AC4, Flea concert, Anuenue Light Bird cedar tenor, Kala Rumbler FL, The Rebel Double Cheesecake

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    7,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    Macs come with the Preview app which can separate each PDF page simply. Open the PDF file in Preview and be sure the left column thumbnails are showing. Drag and drop the thumbnail pages you want to split to your desktop or to a Finder. It will then copy the selected PDF pages to its own PDF documents, but with the main title of the PDF, so after you drag the thumbnail, highlight and copy the title of the song, then click the new PDF in the Finder and paste the song title.
    Very good to know. Thanks!
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)


    You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

    "Out of clutter, find simplicity." Albert Einstein

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Macs are becoming increasingly unreliable.

    The recent upgrade to the Catalina OS has cut off my access to the App Store and the music store or itunes or whatever they call it now. Looking at the Apple forums I am not alone with this problem. I spent almost an entire afternoon with an Apple Genius at an Apple store trying to fix the problem and there was no result.

    It also bought in a button in the mail app to block contacts. Except when I block a contact the App does not block the contact, it just puts message at the top of the pages saying the email is from a blocked contact. This makes the block button a major security risk, either you open an email thinking its safe because you blocked the spammer, or the spammer somehow gets ping when you press the block button and can confirm you are a real target.

    My iPod which holds my entire record and CD collection is no longer supported.

    I suggest that you make hay while the sun shines, use your Apple devices as much as possible, but do not rely on them to keep your important information available beyond the next OS update. Make sure you have your important music data stored somewhere that it can be accessed without needing any internet connection.
    Thanks for the warning on Catalina and iPod. I still use mine all the time. It's been buggy enough just going from Mavericks to Mojave. Sure I can use Spotify or whatever but why pay twice for the music?
    I'm hoping some of the apps people have been recommending for the Fire tablet I picked up dirt cheap.
    Yeah I downloaded any purchased any downloaded music through Amazon so I actually bought the .mp3 files not the Apple cloud version

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    5,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Macs are becoming increasingly unreliable.

    The recent upgrade to the Catalina OS has cut off my access to the App Store and the music store or itunes or whatever they call it now.
    The latest upgrades do not work with older machines. My Macs are from 2012, and I'm not updating the OS any more. I just hope it doesn't get to the point where I can't use them. It seems that 32-bit and 64-bit has become an issue with the latest OS.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •