Do You Use a Tablet, Rather than Books?

How do you split them all out so they get arranged in alphabetical order as single songs rather than 50 in one Book in one file?
You can use a PDF editor to split PDF files or merge them. Search on "split PDF file free windows" (or Mac or whatever) and you should get several options.

I use PDFSam Basic (free from http://pdfsam.com for Windows/Mac/Linux) to merge multiple song PDFs into a single setlist. It worked well and simply enough for my needs that I didn't look any farther.

Splitting your PDF may be more complicated than merging if the individual songs aren't separated in a way the tool can detect (one song per page, bookmarked, etc.) You may need to do some manual extraction, extract and then re-merge, or such.

Commercial PDF editors can do a more and will be a lot more visual if that's more your comfort zone.

I'm old. I like books. I like to write in ‘em and dog ear the pages and even rip some pages out. I’m not a fan of all this internet stuff. :eek:ld:

You can use a PDF editor to split PDF files or merge them. Search on "split PDF file free windows" (or Mac or whatever) and you should get several options.

Macs come with the Preview app which can separate each PDF page simply. Open the PDF file in Preview and be sure the left column thumbnails are showing. Drag and drop the thumbnail pages you want to split to your desktop or to a Finder. It will then copy the selected PDF pages to its own PDF documents, but with the main title of the PDF, so after you drag the thumbnail, highlight and copy the title of the song, then click the new PDF in the Finder and paste the song title.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
I have an Lenovo tablet 10 inch with Mobile Sheets Pro which I like. I have one question. I am not techie. I have several song books on PDF and when I add them to Mobile Sheets Pro they go in as one file. How do you split them all out so they get arranged in alphabetical order as single songs rather than 50 in one Book in one file? There must be an easy way rather than printing out each song, scanning to my computor and saving. Then moving to my tablet .I very much appreciate not lugging around 50 pounds of books.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Instead of printing to an actual printer, I print each page (or set of pages for each song) to PDF, giving the file a suitable name (the name of the song). After creating all those PDFs I then bulk import them into MobileSheets Pro.

Thanks to this thread, I just downloaded forScore for iPad. It sounds like a good solution that will get me playing more. Now, the problem is that I don't have much sheet music...does anyone have recommendations for where to get a nice library of uke tabs in PDF?

I might also have to scan and digitize this Jake tab book that I have as well...

Forscore is fantastic. I scan my books and assign CD tracks to the pages also you can Set the page scroll to match the tempo.
I have a 12” iPad pro, it’s perfect for the task

Macs come with the Preview app which can separate each PDF page simply. Open the PDF file in Preview and be sure the left column thumbnails are showing. Drag and drop the thumbnail pages you want to split to your desktop or to a Finder. It will then copy the selected PDF pages to its own PDF documents, but with the main title of the PDF, so after you drag the thumbnail, highlight and copy the title of the song, then click the new PDF in the Finder and paste the song title.

Very good to know. Thanks!

Macs are becoming increasingly unreliable.

The recent upgrade to the Catalina OS has cut off my access to the App Store and the music store or itunes or whatever they call it now. Looking at the Apple forums I am not alone with this problem. I spent almost an entire afternoon with an Apple Genius at an Apple store trying to fix the problem and there was no result.

It also bought in a button in the mail app to block contacts. Except when I block a contact the App does not block the contact, it just puts message at the top of the pages saying the email is from a blocked contact. This makes the block button a major security risk, either you open an email thinking its safe because you blocked the spammer, or the spammer somehow gets ping when you press the block button and can confirm you are a real target.

My iPod which holds my entire record and CD collection is no longer supported.

I suggest that you make hay while the sun shines, use your Apple devices as much as possible, but do not rely on them to keep your important information available beyond the next OS update. Make sure you have your important music data stored somewhere that it can be accessed without needing any internet connection.

Thanks for the warning on Catalina and iPod. I still use mine all the time. It's been buggy enough just going from Mavericks to Mojave. Sure I can use Spotify or whatever but why pay twice for the music?
I'm hoping some of the apps people have been recommending for the Fire tablet I picked up dirt cheap.
Yeah I downloaded any purchased any downloaded music through Amazon so I actually bought the .mp3 files not the Apple cloud version

Macs are becoming increasingly unreliable.

The recent upgrade to the Catalina OS has cut off my access to the App Store and the music store or itunes or whatever they call it now.

The latest upgrades do not work with older machines. My Macs are from 2012, and I'm not updating the OS any more. I just hope it doesn't get to the point where I can't use them. It seems that 32-bit and 64-bit has become an issue with the latest OS.

The latest upgrades do not work with older machines. My Macs are from 2012, and I'm not updating the OS any more. I just hope it doesn't get to the point where I can't use them. It seems that 32-bit and 64-bit has become an issue with the latest OS.

That's why I won't upgrade to Catalina. It's crawling doing an upgrade from Mavericks to Mojave. My tech guy said throw in a new SSD and more memory and it should be fine. I have a 2012 as well. After putting in the new drive/memory, if I needs another upgrade, I'm going back to windows.

That's why I won't upgrade to Catalina. It's crawling doing an upgrade from Mavericks to Mojave. My tech guy said throw in a new SSD and more memory and it should be fine. I have a 2012 as well. After putting in the new drive/memory, if I needs another upgrade, I'm going back to windows.

I put an SSD in my MacBook Pro, but putting one in a desktop involves too much disassembly. I'm sure I'd be able to take it apart, but putting it back together...

I put an SSD in my MacBook Pro, but putting one in a desktop involves too much disassembly. I'm sure I'd be able to take it apart, but putting it back together...

On Mac mini it's not hard but of course Apple wants you to use tiny torx wrenches instead of Phillip's. For me the hard part is data transfer, and since I want it looked at anyway, I'll let the guy do it at shop.

My Mac is a 2013 and my last update was High Sierra. (I won't let it update automatically.) I will make sure not to update to the newest version.

Jerry, & All, Is there a particular mount &/or holder you like, or anyone you know likes, for the 12.9" iPad.

I think that using the devices to carry your music around is a great idea.

It is only the long term storage that I suggest you take care with.

Last night Catalina was updated and fixed most of the problems I was having on my laptop. Which was a good response from Apple.

But my mini-iPad and iPod are still adversely affected by software updates.

When I had the choice of a $1,000 iPad or a $150 Kindle, it was a no-brainer. I also have the $60 (on sale) smaller Kindle, and that's fine when I have it on a table in front of me.

I’m currently using an iPad Pro I bought refurbished, 12.9”

I’m running SongBook, which auto scrolls, so no page turner needed

I use books for study. There’s just too many of them to haul around

Hi All, Back on the 4th December i asked a for help on the forum in choosing the best way forward to computerize my Lyric / Song/ and music library. The response was very prompt and most helpful. I did say i would come back and let all know when i had made my decision, so just to let you know i have (at the moment) gone for the Samsung Tab A6 10.1" and am amazed as how clear this reproduces a PDF. (Far Far clearer and more easily read than any paper sheet (even if the font is size 18+ my 65 yr old eyes struggle with paper.....& lots of it). I have recently also loaded "SongbookPro" and will maybe try another program when i become more efficient with all the tech. So thanks to all for your help, feedback and guidance... MUCH appreciated.

Top Bottom