Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Do You Use a Tablet, Rather than Books?

I had a couple binders, and an ever growing stack of music sitting on my home office desk. I recently cleared out a drawer in a small filing cabinet, and got my sheets of music organized. So far I've remained "old school" and resisted the tablets. I'm in desperate need of a new home computer, so I'm saving my money for that. Dyed in the wool Mac user.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

I'm not trying to push anyone away from what they are accustomed to. If one is an Apple person, by all means stick with what's working for you. I write books and for better or worse, Amazon is my biggest distributor. So I'm pretty much tied to Kindle. A ten inch Kindle Fire sells for a hundred fifty bucks. MobileSheets pro is thirteen. The two of them do a very nice job of it. Not as many bells and whistles if one is into bells and whistles, but for a basic ukulele player headed out to the weekly hootenanny it works great. One can make it as simple or as complicated as they want. It does not have to be hard.

I'm not a high tech youngster and I struggle sometimes with it. I was one of those folks who grew up reading books, and by golly I wasn't comfortable reading anything that didn't have a cover and pages to turn. It just isn't the same, trying to read a book on a tablet. But that was before I actually read a book on a tablet. It did not take me long to make it to the dark side. The other day a friend and fellow musician was at my place to practice some stuff that we are going to do i n April at a festival. I got out the binder for some reason. I guess that I thought it would be easier for both of us to play together. It actually felt strange.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

This has most likely already been stated, but....
    I have a disability and have been told to limit my lifting to 10 pounds, ~4.5kg.

An iPad with OnSong (very powerful App) allows me to carry my ~3500 songs with me wherever my Ukulele goes.
    Only issue is that my next tablet needs to be a physically larger size. Rotten aging eyes.

Nice thing about having it in the tablet is the ability to quickly change the key and choose whether or not to show fingering charts.
    AND,
    Have the same song, small differences, separated by each of the groups I play with.
    AND,
    I almost always have the song with me if a pick-up jam occurs. Or, if I have a WiFi signal, I download it.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Ukulele View Post
    This has most likely already been stated, but....
    I have a disability and have been told to limit my lifting to 10 pounds, ~4.5kg.

An iPad with OnSong (very powerful App) allows me to carry my ~3500 songs with me wherever my Ukulele goes.
    Only issue is that my next tablet needs to be a physically larger size. Rotten aging eyes.

Nice thing about having it in the tablet is the ability to quickly change the key and choose whether or not to show fingering charts.
    AND,
    Have the same song, small differences, separated by each of the groups I play with.
    AND,
    I almost always have the song with me if a pick-up jam occurs. Or, if I have a WiFi signal, I download it.
    Old eyes here too and along with it, a limited budget. I have Onsong on my reg sized iPad and look longingly at those with that great big ipad. It’s not something though that I’m gonna be able to afford anytime soon. What I was able to do is to increase the font size in Onsong to the max and for about $50 I got a Bluetooth page turner (since increasingly the font pushes you to more than one page). You can even go landscape mode for even bigger viewing. You could just scroll, but I need to be able to start and stop easily hands free cuz we often insert breaks of varying length into songs and the page turner works great for this.

Our group now has all its song in Dropbox, I download them into ForScore and view them on my 10 or 12” iPad, really works great.
    Kinnard Tenor, Kamaka HF-3, Jonathan Mann SEU-T, Kala's TEM/SRT-CTG-E, Cordoba 20TM, Risa Stick Tenor, Outdoor Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by bg42 View Post
    Our group now has all its song in Dropbox, I download them into ForScore and view them on my 10 or 12” iPad, really works great.
    Did you do that with the free version, or are you paying for more storage?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Did you do that with the free version, or are you paying for more storage?
    I have 3000+ songs on dropbox plus many mp3s and still have not run out of free storage

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyf View Post
    I have 3000+ songs on dropbox plus many mp3s and still have not run out of free storage
    Good to know
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyf View Post
    I’ve found that graphics, photos, etc. take up space. Words and chords are much more manageable.

Thread Information