Tenor guitar body depth

Davoravo

Reaction score
Hi

Noob question, are tenor guitars usually less deep in the body than regular guitars eg ooo size?

I love guitar sound but find six string guitars a little painful to stretch my fingers eg G7 chord across all six strings and also reaching over the body even on a 3/4 guitat causes a small amount of pain in my prolapsed lumbar disks. If Ukuleles didn’t exist I would play guitar but ukuleles are more comfortable.

I think tenor guitar may solve all my issues if the body is less deep, I have familiarised myself with length and width. I am
Particularly thinking blue ridge

Just wondering if I should buy a baritone ukulele or jump straight to tenor guita

Thanks
David

I have a Blueridge 40TCE tenor guitar, measures 4" depth at bottom, I've a Martin 000-15M, it measures 4-1/16" and I've a Kamaka baritone, measures 3-3/8". As you can see the Blueridge is the same depth as the much bigger Martin 000-15M guitar. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Maybe look at the Kala Baritone travel ukes. You won't find a shallower body depth, I've heard good things about them.

Thanks, tenor guitars looked a bit thinner than standard on YouTube. I guess the difference is minor.

The thinner the body, the less volume and power it'll have compared to the same size body a bit deeper. If your intent is to lessen the complications from your lumbar disc, I suggest getting a smaller body, shorter scaled baritone. The longer scale of the TG means your arm will be stretched out more that may cause more pressure on your lower back. With a deeper bodied bari. you'll gain the volume and power found in a thinner bodied TG without the strain caused by the bigger body and longer scale.

Thanks, I was thinking about the Kala. I am basically looking for something bigger than a tenor ukulele but smaller than a 3/4 six string guitar (I had access to an aria for a while). I will look at baritone Ukes again as well

Another possibility is a size 5 tenor. Mine has a body depth of 3.25”-3.75” and a bottom bout 11.25” wide.

I often find six-string guitars a bit too big for comfort, but I *really* like the size of that size 5 tenor.

Last edited:
The thinner the body, the less volume and power it'll have compared to the same size body a bit deeper. If your intent is to lessen the complications from your lumbar disc, I suggest getting a smaller body, shorter scaled baritone. The longer scale of the TG means your arm will be stretched out more that may cause more pressure on your lower back. With a deeper bodied bari. you'll gain the volume and power found in a thinner bodied TG without the strain caused by the bigger body and longer scale.

I don't agree. I've only made a couple of tenor guitars, but both have shallow bodies around 3 inches deep and they will happily compete with dreadnaughts on volume and power. It all depends on how they are built - I can't answer for commercial offerings though.

Even in the same Chicago (DGBE) tuning a baritone ukulele sounds nothing like a tenor guitar - if that's the sound the OP is looking for, I don't think a baritone uke will be a substitute.

I think the OP has to find some tenors and try them out.

Even in the same Chicago (DGBE) tuning a baritone ukulele sounds nothing like a tenor guitar - if that's the sound the OP is looking for, I don't think a baritone uke will be a substitute.

I think the OP has to find some tenors and try them out.

ProfChris makes an excellent point. They really do sound different from one another.

I had to travel a long way to demo the tenor guitar I ended up purchasing, but I haven't once regretted it.

Top Bottom