Outdoor ukulele Tenor Banjo

colemole

Reaction score
My sense from looking at u- tube is the Outdoor Ukulele Banjo relatively quiet for a banjo?
Any opinions out there?
Looking for a banjo ukulele that has some bite. Jamming with Banjo and piano players on my ukulele. Defintely overwhelmed by the banjos. I have a Lanikai concert ukulele banjo with a resonator but it doesn't quite sound right compared to the banjos. Maybe need to go low G? String recommendations?
Appreciate your opinions.
Thanks Colemole

have had many many uke banjos, so I can speak a bit on this topic.

some banjos are junky or look good but sound junky...
not looking to hurt anyone feelings, but IMO they are, kala, lanakai, eddie finn, kmise, luna, so on.

here are very decent sounding ones

The Duke 10 great vloume very easy to play, large fretboard
the Duke
Concert Firefly......nice compact little banjo with if you get the wood fretboard
Tenor Firefly.........even nicer
Goldtone regular wood banjoeles...eh, there ok, a bit heavy, not bad
Deering both concert and Tenor......great volume, loud, but quite heavy and unweilding
Goldtone Little Gem......its no slouch...can hold its own in this crowd
Southern Cross......sounds beatiful, looks beautiful

I sold all my banjos and just kept the
custom made Southern Cross (low g) and the Goldtone Little Gem ( high g) shown in photo

the Goldtone little gem all acrylic surprised me, at about 150 bucks its
really a nice banjo, cool looking...comes in different colors, .and sounds prett good with a change of strings.
I put fluro carbons on it,,,made a big difference.....make sure your string length is sufficient, concert banjos sometimes need tenor lenth strings, I play it in my uke performance group...and its LOUD. but you can tone it down without a problem

Attachments

• 648BEE23-4F36-452F-89BB-4CB836E7F9AA.jpg
    648BEE23-4F36-452F-89BB-4CB836E7F9AA.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Pulled the trigger today on a Goodtime Concert ukulele banjo. Hoping I will be happy with it. Be a few days until it arrives. Any preference low or high "G"?

Last edited:
have had many many uke banjos, so I can speak a bit on this topic.

some banjos are junky or look good but sound junky...
not looking to hurt anyone feelings, but IMO they are, kala, lanakai, eddie finn, kmise, luna, so on.

here are very decent sounding ones

The Duke 10 great vloume very easy to play, large fretboard
the Duke
Concert Firefly......nice compact little banjo with if you get the wood fretboard
Tenor Firefly.........even nicer
Goldtone regular wood banjoeles...eh, there ok, a bit heavy, not bad
Deering both concert and Tenor......great volume, loud, but quite heavy and unweilding
Goldtone Little Gem......its no slouch...can hold its own in this crowd
Southern Cross......sounds beatiful, looks beautiful

I sold all my banjos and just kept the
custom made Southern Cross (low g) and the Goldtone Little Gem ( high g)

the Goldtone little gem all acrylic surprised me, at about 150 bucks its
really a nice banjo, cool looking...comes in different colors, .and sounds prett good with a change of strings.
I put fluro carbons on it,,,made a big difference.....make sure your string length is sufficient, concert banjos sometimes need tenor lenth strings, I play it in my uke performance group...and its LOUD. but you can tone it down without a problem

Thanks for this! I'm selling my Duke to a friend because I don't like the tenor scale of the neck. I'll be shopping again soon...so this helps!

Thanks for the comments. Pulled the trigger today on a Goodtime Concert ukulele banjo. Hoping I will be happy with it. Be a few days until it arrives. Any preference low or high "G"?

The Deerings are really made well, quality, I just found them pretty heavy especially if standing with a strap around your neck...and the fretboard was kind of tight spaced.....but that is just me,,,many others love them. That big drum head makes a lot of volume. I would recommend an arm guard for the deerings. just switch the g to low and let your ears determine what you like, high or low...... and remember, bridge placement is critical on a banjo, for sound and tuning as is j clamp tension, , so read up on that...and experiment...also many times the bridge needs to be angeled a tiny bit up or down to get the best intonation across all strings....

Anyone out there who has a Outdoor Banjo Ukulele they want to review? I find them interesting but was hoping to see a review from those who have purchased one. Any opinions?

Top Bottom