Thread: Ideas for a Web Site

Default Ideas for a Web Site

Our group used to rely on Meetup, but that hasn't worked for us. Instead, we are going to create a web site. We're looking for ideas for the site - what to include. Our group meets in three different libraries. So far, these are some ideas. "CUG" is Catskill Ukulele Group. We also have a Facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/CatskillUkuleleGroup/

Upload/download PDFs of songs
    Add recurring meetings on a universal calendar
    Add single events on a universal calendar
    Post pictures and videos
    Would a secure email service help individual-to-individual library groups?
    Can/should each library set up a donation link so that CUG members can donate to the library of their choice?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Keep it simple - update regularly - someone has to be responsible for collecting & posting all the info, choose carefully - & if possible, use FOSS (Free Open Source Software).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Keep it simple - update regularly - someone has to be responsible for collecting & posting all the info, choose carefully - & if possible, use FOSS (Free Open Source Software).
    Thanks for that.

You might think about using a site like Wix. They offer free hosting and templates that make setting up a site incredibly easy. Not sure if the free package would offer enough storage for your group but it would be worth looking into. I would second the keep it very simple suggestion, a home page, a calendar, a page for downloads (I think it's best if the person who is in charge of running it does all the uploads, easy enough for members to email a PDF to him or her), and perhaps a link page where you can link to the individual libraries.

My experience with Meetup, at least in the areas of interest I was looking, is that it has become little more than a marketing tool.

John

Have one person responsible for the website—But give access to more than one person in case of availability
    Most important info prominently displayed and easy to find. IE: Calendar, playlists, music
    Choose your server provider with care. Talk to other small NFPs for referrals. [Do you have a 501(c)(3) exemption?]
    Set deadlines
    Hopefully, integrate with the FB page
    Link with other uke groups' websites(?) with their permission
    Set a budget for how many pages, server, domain name (a yearly fee), etc.

Don't be too ambitious. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).
    Websites, like FB pages, blogs, etc. are a lot of work. They can burn people out if it's all put on their shoulders.
    Find some websites you like and are easy to use and then borrow ideas for layout and organizing. Again, KISS.
    Whatever you do, do not commit to a weekly blog or column unless you have experience writing and doing one.
    Find a young person to help you!

Thanks, all. We're meeting tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know when we get something put together.

Hi, Jerry. I hope to make it down to Catskill, one of these months...

I'm glad you're looking at web sites - a lot of us out there in Ukeland don't use Facebook, or any of those social media sites (This, and Revelry are the only two I use.)

Check with Mike, from Normanskill Strummers. His son set up the website for us, and they might have some tips.

-Kurt
    {watch this space} Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Thread Information