Ideas for a Web Site

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Our group used to rely on Meetup, but that hasn't worked for us. Instead, we are going to create a web site. We're looking for ideas for the site - what to include. Our group meets in three different libraries. So far, these are some ideas. "CUG" is Catskill Ukulele Group. We also have a Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/CatskillUkuleleGroup/

Upload/download PDFs of songs
Add recurring meetings on a universal calendar
Add single events on a universal calendar
Post pictures and videos
Would a secure email service help individual-to-individual library groups?
Can/should each library set up a donation link so that CUG members can donate to the library of their choice?

Keep it simple - update regularly - someone has to be responsible for collecting & posting all the info, choose carefully - & if possible, use FOSS (Free Open Source Software).

You might think about using a site like Wix. They offer free hosting and templates that make setting up a site incredibly easy. Not sure if the free package would offer enough storage for your group but it would be worth looking into. I would second the keep it very simple suggestion, a home page, a calendar, a page for downloads (I think it's best if the person who is in charge of running it does all the uploads, easy enough for members to email a PDF to him or her), and perhaps a link page where you can link to the individual libraries.

My experience with Meetup, at least in the areas of interest I was looking, is that it has become little more than a marketing tool.

John

Have one person responsible for the website—But give access to more than one person in case of availability
Most important info prominently displayed and easy to find. IE: Calendar, playlists, music
Choose your server provider with care. Talk to other small NFPs for referrals. [Do you have a 501(c)(3) exemption?]
Set deadlines
Hopefully, integrate with the FB page
Link with other uke groups' websites(?) with their permission
Set a budget for how many pages, server, domain name (a yearly fee), etc.

Don't be too ambitious. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).
Websites, like FB pages, blogs, etc. are a lot of work. They can burn people out if it's all put on their shoulders.
Find some websites you like and are easy to use and then borrow ideas for layout and organizing. Again, KISS.
Whatever you do, do not commit to a weekly blog or column unless you have experience writing and doing one.
Find a young person to help you!

Hi, Jerry. I hope to make it down to Catskill, one of these months...

I'm glad you're looking at web sites - a lot of us out there in Ukeland don't use Facebook, or any of those social media sites (This, and Revelry are the only two I use.)

Check with Mike, from Normanskill Strummers. His son set up the website for us, and they might have some tips.

-Kurt​

You can use some popular cms to create your website as it much much easier.

Last edited:
I agree about cms. And in order to choose cms, you can use a great tool. You can find a website which one you like and use tool what is cms to check cms this website is using. And then you can create your website on the same platform. I wish you luck with your project.

Last edited:
When you create a site, it is very important to choose the rigth hosting. It depends on your goals... Read about different types and its features

How about : Make sure what ever you do it is able to be maintained. There is so much you can do but to do it all means a big job for someone. Don't let the prefect be the enemy of the good.

It is very hard living inside my head. Just a thought call it Ukeing Together Inside. or UTI, or maybe not.
Good luck with it sounds like a good idea.

Jerry's original post was almost two years ago.

Judging by the link in his forum signature, https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com it seems the solution has been found and in place for a little while at least.

That looks like a different group. I’m imagining (pre-COVID) two gangs of ukesters marauding the Catskills and having impromptu song battles. Not sure which one is the Sharks and which is the Jets. I hope Jerry doesn’t get caught in the middle and end up in tragedy!

Oooh. Now I’m wondering if Jerry isn’t buying all his ukes: maybe he’s winning the pink slips in song-battle!

(Most of the bumps here are spammers web-crawling to find hosting mentions so they can scan an ad. Generic ad copy and single digit post number are a dead giveaway)

Top Bottom