Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fleas, Flukes and Sharpies

I have walnut Fluke, tenor with plastic fretboard. First thing I did was chuck the friction tuner and got pegheds. Now, I have a tuneable instrument. Sharpies did work on dots or frets. Wore off too quickly. I painted frets with a grey paint. Worked well. Re done every year. In end for fret dots I used stickers. Change when ever they need it. Doing it again, I would get wooden fretboard to begin with and pegheads. Good price for Fluke with friction tuners and plastic, for USA made ukulele and that is why they sell so many. I’d probably go solid wood soundboard. But, I purchased Fluke for take anywhere Uke and it does that so laminate sound board just gets better as it dries out and you can’t beat fact you don’t have to fuss with ukulele

I had a Flea, and used a silver Sharpie to mark the frets. It can wear off, but is easy and cheap enough to simply reapply if/when needed.

Work with your doctor, of course, and depending on the underlying cause of the problem, but you might consider trying acupuncture. I'd suggest finding someone who is NCCAOM board certified, if you decide to give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    ...The sharpie solution is quick, but it is also permanent...
    In case you missed it in my post above, FYI: Isopropyl Alcohol a.k.a. "rubbing alcohol" is a well-known solvent for removing the ink that is in the Sharpie markers.

I have done so with great success on any non-porous surface many times in the past 30+ years. Maybe you can try it and see for yourself how easy it is?
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

If a sharpie doesn't work, another idea to try is liquid white-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Unfortunately, I have a bit of neoropathy creeping into my fingers (numbness, loss of nerve sensation). The docs have no miracle cure, it might be a permanent, progressive disability, we'll see. I'm going with alternative herbal remedies too, I'll try almost anything to fix this.

So, I can't play as well by feel alone, I need to look at the fretboard more often, for accuracy. As you may know, standard Flukes/Fleas have the black plastic fretboard and frets, which are very hard to see. Before I replace my Flea's fretboard with a wooden one, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has done the Sharpie thing on standard Fleas/Flukes, where they color the frets, or sides of the frets with silver Sharpie? Not interested in adding just side dots or stickers, I want to see the frets. If so, any tips on the process for doing that would be much appreciated, and a pics of your final results would be great. Thanks so much in advance!
    Pinched cervical nerves van do all of that. You should see a spinal doctor. I had a cervical disc replacement and it worked wonders.

Hi, John. Sorry to hear about this.

Before you mark your Frea with Sharpies, you need to learn how to look at frets when playing. In general, watching fret is not good manner on guitar and ukulele. But T-Bone Walker the father of modern Blues watches fret during playing. This is a sort of play style and I love this style. See his strap and his nice play.

Do not hesitate to look at fretborad, this is your play style as father of modern ukulele.
    Last edited by zztush; Tomorrow at 12:50 PM.

Really sorry about your hands, John. Not the news you were hoping for.

There's a kind of "paint pen" from Japan called Posca. I used it on a plastic uke that I had for a while, gave to a niece, it boomeranged back after a year or so, hung out in my trunk for another year, then went to Goodwill. It was a complete POS ukulele, but the paint stuck. I used Posca for the side markers on a Bruko and that also was fine.
    Kala KA-ASAC acacia baritone
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    aNueNue Khaya I mahogany soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Sorry to learn about your condition... don't know doodley squat about paint on plastic but.... maybe living in a state with legalized marijuana will be an asset in your quest for home remedies
    Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Mainland Mahogany Classic; Mainland Red Cedar; Ohana SK-28; Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Musicguymic's "Kolohe" concert; Cordoba 24T; Cordoba 30T; Kanilea Islander MST-4; Cordoba 24B

Thanks for all the good wishes and uke/health suggestions. I'll wait until I hear back from MF, but am leaning towards trying the silver Sharpie on the bottom side of each fret.
    John

This one is even brighter than Sharpie.
    Last edited by zztush; Tomorrow at 12:50 PM.

Thread Information